Couture back with the UFC

September 2nd, 2008
By

ufc91_couture_lesnar.jpg

After a year of public disputes, court appearances and constant bickering, Dana White and Randy Couture have finally settled their differences enough to bring “The Natural” back to the UFC.

On a media conference call today, White announced the return of Couture, who will defend his UFC heavyweight title against Brock Lesnar on Nov. 15 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

“I am happy to announce that UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture will be returning to action in the Octagon,” said Dana White, UFC President. “He’s a legend in the UFC, and one of the fighters that helped build this sport.  I have always said that wrestling is one of the best bases you can have in MMA and not only is Randy a top level wrestler but his opponent is as well. Brock Lesnar showed the MMA world that he is for real in his last fight, dismantling the far more experienced Heath Herring.  His combination of speed and power was absolutely devastating.   It is a fascinating matchup: the crafty, multiple-time heavyweight champion versus the younger, bigger, and stronger challenger. This is one that will go down in the history books.”

Couture and BJ Penn are the only two fighters to win world titles in multiple weight classes, and Randy has won the heavyweight belt on three different occasions, most recently against Tim Sylvia. The 45-year-old Couture tried to get out of the UFC in order to compete in one last blockbuster fight against Fedor Emelianenko, but the UFC wouldn’t allow him to do so, taking the matter to court.

There’s still talk that if Couture gets past Lesnar, the UFC will bring in Emelianenko for a fight with Randy if they can agree to a contract and the necessary stipulations both parties want. Unfortunately, while Couture has made a career proving doubters wrong, he has to get past Lesnar first.  After seeing Brock’s dismantling of Heath Herring last month, I might be crazy enough to doubt Couture once again.

Leave a Reply