Referral sheet 35

February 21st, 2012
By

State House leaders moved Tuesday to resurrect a bill establishing a fee for single-use plastic bags after mistakenly killing it on Friday.

The bill has been re-referred to the House Finance Committee for further action. A similar bill is also alive in the Senate.

House leaders took the step in part after private suggestions by environmentalists and others that the bill was recommitted on purpose.

House Majority Leader Pono Chong (D, Maunawili, Kaneohe), and state Rep. Denny Coffman (D, Keauhou-Honokohau), the bill’s sponsor, insist it was an accident.

“We’re not perfect over here,” Coffman said.

3 Responses to “Referral sheet 35”

  1. Chicken Grease:

    “We’re not perfect over here,” Coffman said.

    Geez. An admission; that’s right, House, get into the Lenten season as you should.

    X out this bill with prejudice, already. You see a lot of these people using their cloth bags and those reusing and reusing and reusing plastic bags (twice ‘nough already)? Pilau alreadies. Stinky and dirty, a lot of these reusables. You see plastic bags rollin’ in the wind, pink the da)n thing, throw it in trash can (we got trash cans in this town; this ain’t Tokyo) and stop whining already.

    These tree-huggers. Really gonna end up getting on e’rybody’s nerves. What happen to the prospect of green jobs? How ’bout these celebrities telling everybody else to conserve energy? They stop using the Lear jets? Any other celeb’ other than Ed Begley, Jr. putting their money where their mouth is? Yeah, didn’t think so.

    ‘Salright. The more money I gotta pay for plastic bags, the less money I have to donate to nonprofits (not really a place where their budgets can retain jobs as it is right now, then, are they?).


  2. Goober:

    With a name like Pono Chong who can be wrong?


  3. Darcie Sofka:

    I use plastic bags: I put about 40% of them to good use, and recycle the other 60%.


Leave a Reply