An interesting chat with Shoji

February 27th, 2010
By

He dropped by to chat during Friday’s match but with all that was going on with the tsunami I didn’t want it to get lost in the updates and cancellation.

The process of hiring a new assistant continues through Tuesday. That’s the application deadline. He will receive  a list on Wednesday. He said he won’t know until then who has officially applied. The decision will not be done by a committee, it will be his choice.

I asked what he was going to do with Ferrell scholarship. not a done deal but likely will go to Satele, someone they wanted out of high school but they didn’t have a scholarship for. She transferred back over Christmas break and it sounds like for spring she’ll be in Ferrell’s spot.

He doesn’t want to take a long time to decide. Depending on the number of interviews, I would think they’d have someone in place by Monday the 8th or Tuesday the 9th.

Be Sociable, Share!
Comments
  • po'okela February 27, 2010 at 10:40 pm

    i’d say save it.

  • jeff February 28, 2010 at 12:18 am

    Thanks for keeping us informed ! Since the Star bulletin bought the Advertiser that should make u favorite to stay on just my opinion . So there are no other rumors i hope ? that coach can say bout players Too bad bout maui looks like they wanted it but BYU can not play on sundays oh well

  • Cindy Luis February 28, 2010 at 7:36 am

    Good morning. I’m not sure what it means if the two papers merge. there is still the outside chance that the SB will be bought by someone and our staff goes to the new owner. If the papers merge, all I can tell you is that the SB newsroom has about 75 reporters and editor, the Tizer about 125. There is no way that all 200 will be kept. but there are people on both sides who are looking at retirement so perhaps by simple attrition those who want to keep working will have a job.

    If you have a specific rumor, please ask about it. If they’re up on VT, you’ll have to ask about it since I really don’t go on there much. And yes, too bad about Maui. it would have been a rocking place with the sellout. BYU not being able to play on Sundays through a wrench in things but that’s their thing. if you read my story today, you’ll see that BYU didn’t want to go to Maui yesterday morning after being told that their hotel had been evacuated and that War Memorial was a potential evacuation center. don’t blame them but, as Wade said, in hindsight if everyone had just gone over they would have been able to get the match in. Although at one point the road in Kahului was clsoed.

  • Post a comment

    Threaded commenting powered by interconnect/it code.