And the answer on Hartong

October 31st, 2012

Ann says Hartong likely starts on the right tomorrow.

And that if they don’t need to use Olevao (ankle) they probably won’t. The standard answer UH gives is cleared to play/not cleared to play. Won’t know until tomorrow.

As for Croson, Shoji has said from the beginning that she had to earn her way back. which includes a starting role.

Things change on game days but I could see Croson starting IF they decide Olevao not ready and they move Hartong back to RS to start.

Comments
  • Grammy October 31, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Start or sub I’m not a betting person by nature, but I’d bet Jane will be attacking with a vengence on her first chances until she calms down and uses her smarts to. I know the Wahine will be smoking and I don’t think they’re gonna drop a set or let any shots touch their floor. Go Wahine!

• Kazu October 31, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Glad Hartong can play all those different positions. She’s been bounced around like a rubber ball.Should be another good match Thursday night.

• tomas November 1, 2012 at 6:44 am

Good am, Ms. Cindy….Coach said we athletic and the rest of the Big West have volleyball players……whoa…why dont we
    just recruit a bunch of male athletes Allen Alllen type disguised as women…Oops…Jane has all the skills and
    coming back tonight…short leash…got to get her her head
    on straight. Five more Emilly Hs would be great for rhe future. Whats the point…welcome back, take care of your family.

• Rising Stars November 1, 2012 at 7:33 am

Yes that was interesting but it was something that I was aware of.

His recruiting style seems to be athleticism as the top priority with some knowledge of the game second.

I first realized this from a statement by John Tawa at PrepVB several years ago.Maybe he likes taking an athlete then teaching them how to be a volleyball player.I don’t know that for sure but just a thought.

Whatever his reason with the number of All Americans he has turned out he obviously knows what he is doing.

• Cindy Luis November 1, 2012 at 8:52 am

Don’t know how to answer that about recruiting male players but ….
        Shoji has always done a great job on developing players, some who weren’t true volleyball players but were great athletes.
        Diana Jesse comes to mind from the past. And Kalei Adolpho currently.
        That’s just my interpretation.

• dedicatedfan November 1, 2012 at 9:01 am

Cindy, could you throw in Tee Williams, or was it Kim Willoughby, who did not have much volleyball experience, before coming here, but was certainly an athlete.

• Cindy Luis November 1, 2012 at 9:07 am

Believe both Williams and Willoughby were recruited more for basketball than volleyball. As was Jesse.
            Another athletic Wahine was Tita Ahuna. Probably known more as a volleyball player at Kamehameha but played four sports for the Warriors. Think she was also the first girl to play for the Papakolea youth football team.

• Ron November 1, 2012 at 7:49 am

I am sure Hartong caught the eye of Karch Kiraly when he provided color for the LBS match. He seemed more and more enthused with her as the match went on. She plays the game like he used to in that she can “take over” a game. She is a little young but we might she her on the world stage some day. She is one great wahine.

• Rising Stars November 1, 2012 at 7:56 am

I heard that they know each other on a personal level.Karch did a Fox West broadcast of a Los Al match back when she was in HS and he seemed to be very high on her then.

• Cindy Luis November 1, 2012 at 8:56 am

Karch was the assistant national team coach when Hartong was in the gym with the A2 team. I’m sure he saw her then as well.

• dedicatedfan November 1, 2012 at 9:03 am

Remember Karch is now the Women’s Olympic Head Coach. Can we quite possibly see Hartong on the 2016 Olympic Team.

• Cindy Luis November 1, 2012 at 9:08 am

Hartong’s goal is to play for the national team and be an Olympian. 2016 is realistic IMHO.

• warriorfan November 1, 2012 at 6:35 pm

IMO she needs to work on her passing but I could see her become a Kristin Richards type player for the national team and come close to making an olympic team or maybe even make it. I think she could be an olympic beach player as well, she has a bright future.

• Grammy November 1, 2012 at 8:39 am

That bias toward athletic-types has been around since the start of the Wahine program when Coach Dave’s teams featured locals who would not give up on balls ricocheting all over Klum through all those local setters who had volleyball smarts but no height. It’s easier to teach an athlete to play volleyball well than make a tall volleyballer more athletic even with all the training staff now days. Allso all the programs are looking to recruit “Tha One” and might overlook the player with heart and desire to be there. Just think Stanford and UCLA. But I like Wahine style. And every time they step on the court I’m sure that they will represent Hawaii, UH, themselves, us and me well – the Wahine way! Go Wahine!

• roofer68 November 1, 2012 at 9:08 am

I asked Shoji on the QA on the UH facebook hour, what is the first thing he looks for when recruiting a player, his reply was jumping ability.

• dedicatedfan November 1, 2012 at 9:08 am

Just once I would like to see Dave recruit the #1 high school recruit in the nation, just to see how outstanding a player he can make her out to be. He certainly did a wonderful job with Kanani, being a top 5 recruit.

• Cindy Luis November 1, 2012 at 9:10 am

Don’t you think he goes after the No. 1 players? The problem is they have decided to go elsewhere. Logan Tom a good example. Alix Klineman another.

• dedicatedfan November 1, 2012 at 9:14 am

I know he goes after them, maybe I should have said land, or sign, my mistake.

• Cindy Luis November 1, 2012 at 9:15 am

No worries. sorry if i jumped on that. trying to get a story done this morning before heading out to volleyball tonight.
          It’s on Sivan Leoni’s new volleyball club. will run in tomorrow’s paper.

• dedicatedfan November 1, 2012 at 9:10 am

I would like to add, to bad FF did not hold up her end. It would have been a pleasure to see how much she would have grown, as a volleyball player, under Dave’s tutelage.

• Cindy Luis November 1, 2012 at 9:13 am

I think we can officially close the discussion book on Fonoimoana. it is what it is. Sad that what should have been a brilliant career didn’t happen.

• It's What's Right November 1, 2012 at 9:16 am

I like the photo!!!

“I like the crackah” (for those old enough here to remember)…

• Turfwar November 1, 2012 at 10:46 am

Pretty cool that John Tawa just wrote an article on last night’s quarter finals of the D-1 girls state volleyball tourney at McKinley Gym. It’s on Prepvolleyball.com. He sounds very familiar with the girls through his coverage of the club scene and mentions that Punahou is currently ranked sixth nationally and that Kamehameha is also ranked.

• dedicatedfan November 1, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Did not realize it, but after this Saturday’s game against Cal-Poly, the Wahines will have nearly 2 weeks before their next BWC game against Pacific. They only have BYU-Hawaii, next week Thursday. That is a match Shoji can rest some people, like Hartong, Uiato, Longo, etc., to give some other people like Hagins, Tuaniga, Olevao, Goodman, etc. some playing time. Also, he can use it to work on some thing against live competition.

• blackfin November 1, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Don’t BYUH lightly,they maybe DivII but they’re having a great season. Things can turn south in a hurry in volley, no matter what division you’re playing in. The momentum and round ball bounces in funny direction sometimes.

• Cindy Luis November 1, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Doubt if they’ll take BYUH lightly. The Seasiders are ranked No. 8 in DII, have clinched the PacWest automatic berth in the regional.
        And Shoji well remembers that loss in 1992 to the Seasiders that likely kept the Wahine out of the NCAA tourney for the only time. Think it was supposed to be Shoji’s 500th win. The big cake ended up in the trash can outside of Klum.

• volleyball fan November 1, 2012 at 5:42 pm

What a waste of a cake! They could have brushed off the letters on top of the cake and just donated it to a poor kid’s birthday party. I hate to see food wasted when so many poor people are starving. What a shame!

• UH was GREAT in the late 80s/early 90s November 2, 2012 at 10:08 am

In 1996 (Robyn and Angelica’s Sr. years…the year that they ended up in thee NCAA Championship Match against Stanford)…BYU-HI almost beat the Wahine in five thrilling sets as well.

I remember being at the SSC and thinking to myself what an awful thing it would’ve been for UH to again lose to the Seasiders.

I hope that Dave puts things together by the 2012 tourney. They do have all the talent to go VERY far; Croson is key to their successes but she’ll again grow bored by Thanksgiving (losing focus)…it’s harsh but a firm dose of reality.

She needs to be given different options on the court.

The sheer amount of substitutions/revolving players @ differing positions is dizzying. I can only guess that Mita is about to through with it also.

• UH was GREAT in the late 80s/early 90s November 2, 2012 at 10:09 am

too

• Ron November 1, 2012 at 2:53 pm

BYUH looked good in the spring in the round-robin games at UH. They have 4 or 5 people who have Div. I talent. Agree with Host, Shoji will have UH ready.

• Cindy Luis November 1, 2012 at 6:18 pm

they have several chinese players who are very good and Tuli Peters is playing well

• warriorfan November 1, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Tuli peters is still playing?? Isn’t she like 27 or 28 by now, same class as Kanoe K?? Wow.

• Cindy Luis November 1, 2012 at 6:36 pm

not sure how but she had one year left. Last played in 2006 as a junior. Married. Last name now Tevaga. 2 children 3 and 2.

• heluhelu November 1, 2012 at 4:35 pm

FYI. NZ paper says Amy Hunter (6-1 M/OH, Otumoetai College***], NZ) has received scholarship offer from Hawaii along w/5 other schools, incl. Minnesota. Minnesota might have inside track via McCutcheon (fellow Kiwi, Olympic WVB, MIN H/C). [ http://www.bitly.com/RxNxgn ]

*** = high school in NZ

• Cindy Luis November 1, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Thanks for the link

• warriorfan November 1, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Maybe so but she is friends with Johann Timmer from the warriors.

• Say What Dave ? November 1, 2012 at 6:49 pm

LOL this is funny. Remember when Shoji did that recent internet gig where he answered questions from fans ? Well someone asked him if he ever thought about recruiting in New Zealand and his reply was that the talent level in NZ wasn’t very good.

• vballfreak808 November 1, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Hopefully she never sees that. But I hope she comes! Hawaii doesn’t get foreign recruits that often on the women’s side. It will be awesome to hear that Shoji beat out McCutcheon out on a recruit.

Would she be a 2013 or 2014 recruit?

• warriorfan November 1, 2012 at 9:43 pm
      • vballfreak808 November 1, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I like her. Reminds me a little bit of Amber Kaufman. She can put the ball away with authority. IMHO she may need to work a lot on her blocking but I think she has a lot of potential. She runs the slide well and the back one so maybe transition her to an opposite?

• warriorfan November 1, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Anyone watching Punahou on OC12? Real impressed with Higgins Croson like serve and her backsets and she goes to her middles any chance she gets.

• Cindy Luis November 1, 2012 at 6:08 pm

watched early She does look good

• Say What Dave ? November 1, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I found Dave’s response to a question about recruiting in NZ

Q:Jim Quinn Have you ever considered looking for talent in New Zealand or Australia ?

A: We look for talent all over the world but women’s volleyball in NZ and Australia isn’t the strongest. -Dave

• warriorfan November 1, 2012 at 9:40 pm

well he’s right, I remember Australia back in the Sydney Olympics , even though I was very young I know they were just plain awful.

• warriorfan November 1, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Yet again there maybe some players from there could make an impact at the D1 level, like Bricio from Mexico at USC. Mexico obviously is terrible in volleyball as well.