Back from vacation, thanks for the posts, Wahine roster up

June 22nd, 2011

Appreciate all the posts while I was gone to the mainland.

saw someone mentioned that the 2011 roster was up. here’s the link.

20 players listed, no real surprises. Believe I had mentioned Kawamura and Blake earlier as ‘invited’ walkons.

20 is a lot. Shoji usually doesn’t carry more than 18.

And who knows who will show up for 2-a-days? He’s had a number of hopefuls show up in the past, some unannounced. can remember one player not even making it to lunch before she walked out. .

Comments
  • 2350 E. Guava Ln. June 22, 2011 at 5:02 pm

BUT… I really like the way Na Wahine, 2012 is being ‘pieced’ together. Heck I like them better than 2011. ;-)

OH2: 6’0″ So-J. Croson
    MB3: 6’4″ So-J. Vorster
    OH3: 6’3″ Jr-M. Waber
    Opp2: 6’1′ Jr-K. Goodman
    MB4: 6’1′ So-K. Aldopho
    Libero2: 5’7″ Sr-C. Lelepali

• huh June 22, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Whos the transfer A. Walker?

• Cindy Luis June 22, 2011 at 5:28 pm

first I’ve heard of a transfer for 2012. Guava??

• 2350 E. Guava Ln. June 22, 2011 at 6:46 pm

She’d be a take away ‘gift’, via da WAC, as the Wahine make their departure for CA. ;-)

Come on Wong…Stir the pakini and work your magic…Nah, nah!!!

• 2350 E. Guava Ln. June 22, 2011 at 6:49 pm

Tri-Cities, WA…same place as Prince originated.
        AK Airlines all da way home:
        Honolulu – Seattle
        Seattle – Pasco (Tri-Cities)

• All is on walker June 22, 2011 at 5:39 pm

lol.. just kiddin, but she would be a nice pick up, wouldn’t she? anyway, did anyone see mrs. kari with team imi ike at the aau’s.. the announcers mentioning a big banger (think #29) and how she had a few offers already.. anyone knows?

• Crystal Ball June 22, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Prediction: WAC coaches will pick Utah State to win the WAC this year.

• Cindy Luis June 22, 2011 at 6:02 pm

CB, I doubt they will. USU will be VERY young. they lost quite a bit and will have just 1 senior in Liz McArthur.
    UH’s recruiting class ranked 12th, USU’s 55th.
    junior setter Hargrove (20 assists) got less playing time than Uiato so think UH has the edge there.
    and the Wahine return starters Danielson, Hewitt, Waber, Satele, Hartong.

• Hapa June 22, 2011 at 7:49 pm

What did you do on your WA vacation???

• PurpleisGold June 23, 2011 at 8:05 am

Did you at least do Port Townsend? Port Gamble?? Neah Bay???

• WNVL (& NOT WNVA) June 23, 2011 at 7:57 am

Over the last week #10 Chicago, #9 D.C., #8 Los Angeles, #7 New York, NY have been named as franchises…tomorrow???

The WNVA, for expressed purposes, appears to have sputtered (this would’ve been the reality show/league competitions which HAD contemplated Honolulu @ one time).
    ___
    Cindy,
    Do you know something about the aforementioned? Any–AT ALL–insights?? Is L.A. the furthest west that this organization is expanding???

Hi.’s got some playahs!!! ;-)

Anyway, the official web page:

• WNVL (& NOT WNVA) June 23, 2011 at 7:58 am
  • WNVL (& NOT WNVA) June 23, 2011 at 8:02 am

Over the last week theses franchises…#10 Chicago, #9 D.C., #8 Los Angeles, #7 NY, NY, and tomorrow???

The WNVA, for expressed purposes, seems to have sputtered. This would’ve been the reality show/league competitions (at one time to have contemplated Honolulu).
    ___
    Cindy,
    Do you anything about the aforementioned? Is L.A. the furthest west they’ll be headed in expansion?? Do you–AT ALL-have something to report???

Hi.’s got some playahs! ;-)

• WNVL (& NOT WNVA) June 23, 2011 at 8:09 am

Probably not one in B.C., yet did one Cindy Luis (perhaps) ride a ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria, BC???

On second thought, Vancouver I could see being the closest to Seattle with a pro vb team. Portland, OR not so much.

• sasa June 23, 2011 at 9:35 am

I’m being cautiously optimistic this year, but I think this year’s Wahine team will be better than last year. I think it’ll take a little time for Uiato to get comfortable as the main setter running this quick tempo, but think she’ll be pretty sharp by mid-season. I also like that she’s been trained as a setter for years, and can handle the pressure a little better. Here’s what I’d like to see this year by mid-season:

L1 – Danielson
    L2 – Waber
    RS – Croson (as a passing opposite)
    M1 – Hartong (for her offense)
    M2 – Hewitt
    S – Uiato
    L – Lelapali (just guessing she’ll be better than our current backrow specialists)

• huh? June 23, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Taking a crack at possible starting lineups.
      My guess is Long/Vorster/Adolpho redshirt.

I see this as the starting lineup.
      L1: Danielson

RS: Croson
      M1: Hewitt
      M2: Hartong
      S: Uiato
      L: Maeda/Lelapali

—————

A bit like the first lineup…
      Double-sub when setter moves into the front row, giving height at the net?
      L1: Danielson
      L2: Croson
      RS: Satele/Goodman
      M1: Hewitt
      M2: Hartong
      S: Uiato/Stauber
      L: Maeda/lelapali

• Cindy Luis June 23, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I agree with you about the redshirts. Adolpho’s first priority is to basketball. She’s also talking about doing track.

• UHVBFan July 11, 2011 at 4:48 am

Just how good is Lelepali and how proven is she at this level? If she is better than the current group of DSs, shouldn’t she have played last year, ahead of Maeda and Griffiths? It would be great if she was really that good, but she could also be a dud, so I’d be wary about anointing her as the new libero. At this point, I’d say Maeda and Griffiths are ahead of her. Maybe even Kam. And Kawamura could come from behind and grab that libero spot. But since you mentioned mid-season, anything could happen.

• Cindy Luis June 23, 2011 at 9:45 am

you guys are too funny. I went to Sequim for my nephew’s high school graduation. My sister in law very much into hiking. we did the Spit hike but too low of a tide to get to the lighthouse. hiked 4-plus on the old railroad trail. supposed to go kayaking but too windy and we’d be fighting headwind. took ferry to Seattle, Pike’s Market, the Duck Tour. and took the ferry to Victoria from Port Angeles.
    They have such a great ferry system. What is wrong with Hawaii?

• sigh June 23, 2011 at 10:12 am

“‘you guys’ are too funny”?

Come on, Cindy! I would have thought you’d pick up on the fact that “2350 E. Guava Ln., All is on walker, Crystal Ball, Hapa, PurpleisGold, WNVL (& NOT WNVA), Pochonese” (+ many other names) are all the same person.

Yes, 11 out of 17 comments so far are from the same lolo using a bunch of different ID’s. I guess that’s fine but let’s not pretend there are a bunch of scatterbrains all posting on these threads.

Whenever you come across a poster that is articulate, logical and who understands basic grammar and doesn’t overuse punctuation — it’s most likely one of the times someone else is posting.

• Cindy Luis June 23, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Sigh, my ‘too funny’ was in regards to people asking about my vacation. I’m not that interesting but appreciate people caring.

• On THIS particular thread... June 23, 2011 at 10:02 pm

You forgot the notoriously ubiquitous “run on sentences”.

Which surprises me ’cause you know a thing, or two, about that one. ;-)
        Go check em, go. Uncle can wait until you make as much sense also.

Who da heck enjoyed grammar in grade school anyways?…Sheesh!!! Although maybe one SA Sport’s Page Editor did, huh?!

Signed,
        ‘Guava’, ‘Hapa’, ‘PurpleisGold’, ‘WNVL (& NOT WNVA)’
        (who all went to public school and are proud of it, too)
        :P

• NOT wanting to get into this type of thing June 23, 2011 at 10:43 pm

This & not “Which”
          Go away if your educated self just can’t handle it.

• Cindy Luis June 23, 2011 at 9:53 am

As for the WNVL, did a story about it in 09 when the Wahine were in Tampa. Will have to find the link
    they have Chicago, New York, Washington DC and Los Angeles posted so far. I remember discussing with the organizers about Hawaii. They said it was under consideration. BUT the economic climate has changed to so much, it might not be viable.
    I could see Banachowski ending up with the LA team. Mick Haley (SC) is part of the organization.
    they have 10 cities. we know of 4. Seattle makes a lot of sense. I’m guessing somewhere in Nebraska. Elliott from TExas also involved so figure on a team there. and one in Florida. Flying is key so they’ll go for big cities with airports.
    if I had to guess other cities … Minneapolis and Denver. that gives you 10.

• jmy June 23, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Looks like they’ll have a deep team for a few years…any word on television coverage?

• Cindy Luis June 23, 2011 at 6:40 pm

TV switches to Oceanic this year. I’m assuming they’re doing all the matches, but haven’t heard about PPV yet.

• Warrior15 June 24, 2011 at 11:07 am

It sucks for me that the games will be on OC16 … b/c I have DirecTV … and OC16 is not on there!

Doh!

• jmy June 23, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I’m interested in seeing how Nebraska does in the Big Ten…I’m sure they’ll do all right, but probably won’t dominate the way they did in Big XII…Colorado will be the cellar dweller of the Pac-12.

• Cindy Luis June 23, 2011 at 8:07 pm

The Huskers in the Big Ten will be interesting and should give Penn State a run for the title. Agree about Colorado.

• warriorfan June 23, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I expect Nebraska to have about 5 losses in conferences this season, maybe more.

• sandandsurf June 23, 2011 at 11:26 pm

since someone mentioned Uiato, can anyone comment on whether she’s put on some weight/muscle since last season?

looking forward to what i hope’ll be an exciting season :-)

• Sardonicspeck June 24, 2011 at 9:40 am

The idahoboy can make his voice known, no? He’s probably not permanently silent…& be holy on the holly….Christmas in July is coming!!!
    I like spuds (in the U.S.) and stickey, white rice (in Asia/HI).

Any news???
    :-|
    *Some body said that Hartong would make a damn fine OH2. Also, her passing would be okay with K.D., J.C. and a libero covering other portions of the court. Kinda like ’09 (Aneli = Jane)…6’4″, MB2 would be alright, then, with more stabilized passing.

• Cindy Luis July 11, 2011 at 10:10 am

Someone asked about Lelepali. She’s good, not tested at this level. got a good year in of practice last year since her paper work wasn’t in order for her to play following her transfer.

she probably is No. 3 on the depth chart, behind Maeda and Griffiths. but may surprise and move up.
    wouldn’t be surprised if Kawamura redshirts. too many other liberos to have her waste a season.

• UHVBFan July 12, 2011 at 4:58 am

I was just a little curious why her name kept popping up as the next libero, ahead of Maeda and Griffiths, who both saw action last year. Just saying she’s unproven as far as actual game time at this level. Just like Kam and Kawamura. Thanks for mentioning about the paperwork issue that prevented her from playing last year. Probably also the reason why she wasn’t on the formal roster, unlike walk-ons of seasons past.