Change to blog, thoughts on NCAA semifinals, finals?

May 4th, 2010

Happy to report that you can now post without waiting on me to approve it. Think it will be soooo much better since I’m not online 24-7. AND I’ll be traveling for most of the next two weeks with sparse internet connection.
Please remember the guidelines: no profanity, no cheap shots.

So I underestimated Stanford … maybe overestimated CSUN … last Saturday. Really thought the Matadors could pull it out for a third time this season. But think losing Set 2 the way they did was a direct hit to their collective psyche.

I expect it to be an all-MPSF final… again .. on Saturday. Penn State has had some bad losses. Although I think PSU coach Pavlik is one of the nicest guys in the game, just don’t see the Nittany Lions winning this on. And Ohio State was very fortunate to get past Loyola last week.

Saturday final. Can’t see how the Cardinal could be denied. Kawika Shoji deserves this. I did think he should have gotten the MPSF player of the year over Lawson. but setters seem to be undervalued, odd since quarterbacks in football get so much glory.

Comments
  • Warriorfan May 4, 2010 at 7:09 pm

I think it’s destiny for Stanford to win it this year. I will be rooting for the Shoji boys to win a ring.

• Eva Uran May 4, 2010 at 9:10 pm

I’ll be rooting for Stanford in the Final Four host and the Shoji boys as well, but I don’t take victory for granted. If they meet Northridge, it will be a revenge- minded team. Last year, USA swept Irvine in the MPSF championship but then Irvine came back to beat USA in five sets in the national championship match, getting its revenge. True, back in 1997 Stanford won both the MPSF and the National Championship but more often than not, the MPSF runner-up with the at-large berth wins the national championship. Same thing happened with Hawaii and Pepperdine when Hawaii won its first men’s national championship. Stanford will have to stay on top of its game more than ever and thwart Northridge’s quest for revenge.

• fred May 4, 2010 at 9:35 pm

I’ll second your prediction. Stanford is just playing too well to be denied.

• Cindy Luis May 4, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Eva think you mean USC, not USA. yes, Stanford won in 97 at ucla. was at that match. Stuart Chong was playing for the Cardinal. believe it was the first time that ucla had not won when it hosted.
    but if you llook at 95 and 96. hawaii the at-large and didn’t win. Uh was fourth in 95, last time they played the third-place match, and second in 96. Blame the coaches in 95. Hawaii went to ucla, lost, flew back to the islands then went all the way back to springfield Mass. team had no idea what day it was.

• ShaFriFoall May 5, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I agree with Cindy’s opinion on setter recognition. Setters at the highest level are not good because they have a team of high level passers. They are GREAT at making the off plays seems flawless and they control the tempo of the game. They influence the ball’s movement and at many times, the team’s energy. I am not a setter but I appreciate the hard work and athleticism they possess as well as the composure and the undesirable passes they have to endure.

• Eva Uran May 6, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Thanks, Cindy. Sorry for the error. I meant USC, not USA.

Also I was wrong in my prediction of meeting Northridge. I guess we were all expecting an all-MPSF final and now it will be Penn State instead. Go Stanford with our Hawaii players! I’ll be rooting for you as if you were the Hawaii team.

For Kawaka Shoji – winning it all on home court will be the ultimate prize on top of your national MVP award, something you’ll savor the rest of his life. No doubt you’d make your family and the entire state of Hawaii proud. Good luck!!!