Christenson in running for Off The Block fan’s choice award

August 30th, 2011

Kamehameha graduate Micah Christenson, who’ll be at USC this season, is one of eight men’s volleyball players who are finalists for the inaugural Off the Block Offseason Award
It recognizes the best performances from current NCAA men’s volleyball players in international tournaments during the summer. Fans can determine who was the best player with online voting

you can vote at Offtheblockblog.wordpress.com. voting closes 6 p.m. HST Wednesday

Comments
  • ainokea August 30, 2011 at 12:32 pm
    • Warrior15 August 30, 2011 at 2:07 pm

too bad things didn’t work out for her at Cal Poly. i thought she had a bright future helping to rebuild that program, after she beat out an upperclassman for the starting setter job during her freshman year.

good luck to her.

• John August 30, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Hey Cindy, quick question. A little off topic. I watched the replay of the UH & AU game. Saw an AU player try to dig a ball and almost went diving over a table at courtside. Was that you the player almost landed on?? Saw a woman that looked like you put her hands up.

• sunandsurf August 31, 2011 at 11:51 am

I’m pretty sure it was Cindy protecting her precious laptop!

Am surprised no one mentioned it before!

• Cindy Luis August 31, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Yep, protected my laptop. yelled to the player that ‘you have room’ trust me, i have seen the damage the balls have done. there was one laptop of mine that had a permanent blue mark on the corner from the ball.
    and i still have a deep tissue bruise from Victor Bautista landing on my thigh years ago.

• Cindy Luis August 31, 2011 at 5:10 pm

precious laptop .. it is mine, not the company’s . for me to replace it’s $1200.

• John August 31, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Ha ha! I thought so. Not laughing at you. Just the thought of you sacrificing your body to save your laptop goes to show just how important computers are these days. Plus if you didn`t then we couldn`t have gotten updates from you during the game. Our Wahine warrior! Mahalo Cindy!

• Cindy Luis August 31, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Yes, John. I”ve been knocked off line from errant balls. I try to protect it. Love my Mac.

• John August 31, 2011 at 6:52 pm

As long as it doesn`t knock you off your chair. Keep your head down. ;-) Mahalo!

• Jesse September 1, 2011 at 8:09 am

Been watching some older wahine matches and loved seeing Therese Crawford and Jamie Houston do stepout moves around the middles. Kanani and maybe Jane should do that this year, it works almost every time!

• Cindy Luis September 1, 2011 at 9:35 am

Danielson does do that, where she comes from the left, behind the middle to hit a 2 ball. It’s not an X or a double.
      I’m sure they’ll be working with Croson to add some of those things. But those are timing plays that can be tricky. You’ve seen a ball being set left and no one there? Communication is the key. You’ll see more of those plays as the season goes on.

• Laura September 1, 2011 at 11:24 am

Would love to see Satele involved in that kind of play, also, hitting out of the back middle. The more areas a player can hit from the harder it will be to defend them. Do you not think so Cindy?

• Cindy Luis September 1, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Satele has hit out of the back middle.

• Jesse September 1, 2011 at 8:18 am

By the way I thought there would be a new blog format?

• Cindy Luis September 1, 2011 at 9:30 am

Jesse, that’s what i was told I’m waiting for it to happen too.

• Laura September 1, 2011 at 11:31 am

Cindy, who takes the heights of the players at the Athletic Department. Cause on their website, it says, Hartong is 6’2, Croson is 5’11, and Satele is 5’10. Looking at the pic in this mornings SA, Croson is like an inch shorter then Hartong, and Satele is a few inches shorter then either one of those two. Which would make Croson 6’1, or Hartong 6’0, Croson 5’11, and Satele 5’8. I would say Croson is 6’1, and the person taking the heights of the players, needs thick glasses.

• warriorfan September 1, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Agreed, plus it lists Jane’s high school as lakewood insead of Los Alamitos…

• Cindy Luis September 1, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Not really sure who does the measurements. The players fill out a bio form. As for today’s photo, I’m not sure how it was shot. if all of them were wearing shoes or not. But Croson does look about an inch shorter than Hartong instead of the 3 inch difference on the roster.

• Laura September 1, 2011 at 11:35 am

Cindy, you should build yourself a wooden shield for your laptop, to protect it from errant(sp) volleyballs.

• threshold September 1, 2011 at 11:40 am

laura, you should shut the front door…on the way out.

• Jeff September 1, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I guess I’ll put this here this is a somewhat dated article March/April 2011 written by Stephen Tsai for Volleyball Magazine that I’ve never seen before

Says that Hawaii is recruiting a player out of Georgia.

• warriorfan September 1, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Hawaii doesnt have anymore scholarships to give out in the 2013 class, they got two already, Tayler Higgins and Nikki Taylor. Rooks is 2013 as well.