Circle of Honor discussion

October 15th, 2012

So great to see Allen Allen the other night (and wife Melissa who played Wahine basketball) Happened to tune into OC16 last night and they had the five-set win from Feb. 22. 1988 over Pepperdine in Klum Gym. Kind of hard getting used to the sideout format again. I do appreciate both scoring styles but do miss the old school. and loved the Bow-Zows.

Allen was simply amazing, team included Damien Hardy, Carlos Briceno, Waioli Gonsalves, Brian Poppinga. Doug Rigg setting for Pepperdine. and Allen with his impressive cutbacks.

now on to the topic

The criteria for COH selection is on the UH website as well as the list off all the inductees.

Committee members have  about 6 pages of everyone who is eligible for induction by sport. among the automatic criteria is All-American, NCAA champion and Olympian. Every year anyone who receives an all-Ameircan honor is added to the list as well as the year they become eligible for induction. It’s supposed to be a 5 year wait but there have been some exceptions, such as Stan Sheriff and Les Murakami.

anyone can submit a nomination. Since I serve as historian I am happy to pass along nominations to the committee for the class of 2013. You can mail them to me at the office

Star-Advertiser Sports, 7-210 Waterfront Plaza, 500 Ala Moana Blvd. Honolulu 96813.

The committee makeup changes year to year. you usually serve a two-year term and can volunteer to serve a second term. I don’t have a vote as historian but can help with the discussions about past nominaees who were not voted in previously to help give newer members some back ground.

The nominations and discussions can be passionate. There are several meetings the lead to a final ballot (secret) and the inductees are those with most points. My role as historian is to create bios for nominees that are given to the committee and then also help with the wording that goes on the plaque.

Someone brought up Willoughby and her past legal troubles. Things that happen after UH career don’t normally come into play, obviously being an Olympian usually happens after UH. However, post-UH accomplishments and community contributions are part of the consideration.

The thing I can say is. UH has an incredibly rich athletic tradition, there are hundreds who meet the initial criteria, and it is a decision the committee does not take lightly.

Comments
  • Xtreme October 15, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I was also watching that 1988 game and a lot of local boys were on that team….now only if we can keep them home to play for UH!

• rage777 October 15, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I agree with Stephen, it is a big shame that Al and Niko Noga are not in the Circle of Honor. Or maybe that should be sham.

• Grammy October 16, 2012 at 5:44 am

I seem to recall seeing Al Scates (UCLA) and the Pepperdine coach (forget his name) at the Hawaii State Volleyball tournaments in the 80′s and them picking off the cream of the crop. Allen bloomed alot in college as do a number of others, but it would have been great and real different to have local talent stay. And not only in volleyball but all sports, too. Football, baseball, softball, etc. too bad they go but maybe they need to get away, too.

• Cindy Luis October 16, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Scate’s first trip to Hawaii was to get Trevor Schirmann

• jimmy the lock October 16, 2012 at 8:34 am

Give me a reason why the COH did not already include Niko and Al Noga.

• Cindy Luis October 16, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Al and Niko are eligible. they haven’t been voted in.

• Thank U 4 Ur Service(s) October 16, 2012 at 9:30 am

…Cin

• Beauston October 16, 2012 at 9:53 am

Dont know how long this COH discussion will last but finally got to watch the Stanford UCLA match on my DVR and impressed how quick Stanford developed from when they lost to the Wagine at Hawaii.
    On the match there were a few things both teams did that I thought Wahine is struggling with
    -both teams has a tremendous composure controlling the ball specially on off plays
    -both team can dig up balls
    -this one really stood out to me that Wahine hitters need to learn if they want to keep those kills to take us deep in post season
    -the hitters from both team know when to tip and when to go hard Tabi love is fantastic at this. She reminds me of Hartong whos 2 years ahead as far as reading the blocks.
    -lastly, both teams are very comitted to their blocking. Vorster and Adolpho has been amazing themselves, but at times, they seem to have their arms too late and rushing to get back on bitting position. Not really committing 100% until Wong and Shoji yelled from the sideline. Vorster is a redshirt freshman so I hope she learns that on her career here at UH.

• Beauston October 16, 2012 at 9:56 am

Tabi love IMHO is ahead of Hartong about a couple of years… Just want to clear that up, re-reading that did not sound the way I wanted it to be.

• wen October 16, 2012 at 11:52 am

If on line voting counted, Willoughby would be a hands down winner to the COH. OC Sports put up a facebook poll and she got more votes than even Robin Ah-Mow.

• Cindy Luis October 16, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Well, Wen, it isn’t how the voting went. There were 2 others I was sure would get in as well. but the way the voting went, there was a clear division between the top 3 vote getters and the other 9 (or maybe there were 10) nominees.

• wop ur jaws October 16, 2012 at 12:13 pm

ok thanks Cindy..stating how things are voted on within the panel and how they decide. But ‘im still unsure as to why they choose who they choose and in what time frame…you got 5 yrs waiting period for eligibility also with the other criteria such as NCAA all american, champ and/or olympian. Got that, but then you say post UH factors are not a big factor although being an olympian happens after UH days. Then you say community service is a factor again after UH days. Well then, why wouldn’t they just go down the line and vote them in order of year? If they had the highest likely hood of being in the COH of their year, what else do they need to be decided on once the five yr waiting period is over? I mean the records and the impact they made on UH would have welled been documented as to check off their merits. It seems to me, that favoritism is a unstated factor versus contribution. Kim may have not been a model person all the time, but her contribution to her home state and the sport of volleyball is well documented. Today not only is she a coach or was on recently, but she also provided many youngsters in LA the chance to learn about volleyball as well as commitment, team building skills, confidence, a path to higher education and the hope to break free from poverty or potential violence. I think by trying to work on herself and learning to be a better citizen, she in turn inspires everyone that there is always a way to being the best person you can be. Selfishness to selflessness is not something that happens everyday. That is what I would want from a COH recipient.

• Cindy Luis October 16, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I don’t know if I see it as favoritism. The committee is together for a couple of discussions. Names go up on a board. some discussion as to how many should make the final ballot.
      the Ballot is a blind vote. it is done by done by email after the last get together so no one knows how anyone voted expect for the person who tabulates and the person who verifies the voting.
      I’ve never seen a person’s orientation taken into account.
      I can tell you that while involved with the Hawaii State Hall of Fame criminal record has been taken into account.

• Cindy Luis October 16, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I agree with you that the ‘older’ ones should get in first. and not have to wait for the 50 years which then puts them in the legends category. but i don’t have a vote.

• Cindy Luis October 16, 2012 at 5:15 pm

WUJ, I agree with how nebulous it all seems. I am often baffled by the voting. one thing is since the makeup of the committee continually changes year to year, while there is some consistency there is always new blood and thoughts.
      The thing is …. they are not going to vote in a ton of people every year. It diminishes the specialness of it when you do that. to have 3-6 annually makes it special
      perhaps i clouded things by saying what other factors are sometimes taken into account. and those are. Let’s say for example. Jimmy Yagi. One of my personal nominations from the 90s. was good at UH, great coach at UHH, great community person in Hilo. still not in.

All-American, national champion. those are the basics for eligibility
      when I said Olympics … there are very few who are are still attending UH when they compete in the Games. so at some point being an Olympian becomes part of the eligibility items. Obviously if they were good enough to be an Olympian they had that basis out of UH.

One issue with some of the GREAT football players at UH is that they were never recognized nationally. so that is part of the debate.

sorry if I was vague or seemed to contradict myself but as anyone who has been on these kinds of selection committees there are so many variables involved. I think UH has done a pretty good job but … there’s always room for debate.

which is why I thought this was worth discussion.

off to see Sivan Leoni. he is starting up a youth volleyball club on the windward side. be back later.

• rage777 October 16, 2012 at 6:46 pm

So if being an All-American is weighed, then that is even more for Al Noga to be in the CoH.

• rage777 October 16, 2012 at 6:47 pm

*even more reason

• Cindy Luis October 17, 2012 at 11:02 am

Again, Al has been on the ballot. he just hasn’t been voted in. Can’t tell you why or how people voted because I don’t know.. Am not involved with voting nor counting the votes.

Again, if you would like to nominate him with letters of support from the community and give additional background on what he has been doing for the community in the past few decades, please do. Mail to me at the paper and I will pass along the info to the committee.

• Cindy Luis October 16, 2012 at 1:05 pm

sorry but have deleted the posts from “Kari’ purporting to be the former UH setter.

• po'okela October 17, 2012 at 8:26 am

now all the speculation and rumors can end.
    shoji said he’s confident we’ll be seeing croson soon…

• jimmy the lock October 17, 2012 at 11:02 am

I know the Noga’s are eligible, just wanted a reason why they aren’t in the COH. Politics?

• Cindy Luis October 17, 2012 at 11:05 am

Jimmy,have been giving you reasons. It’s not political. There are very many deserving athletes. They Nogas have been on the final ballots but they did not get enough votes.
      read answer above. Send letters of support.
      That’s all I can tell you. it is not one person’s decision. it is done by committee.