C.J. and the Bills

December 31st, 2008

Word we’re getting is that C.J. Hawthorne did a great job on the Buffalo Bills practice squad this year, and they want him back next season. With his speed, versatility and sincere team-first attitude, don’t be surprised if he makes the team next year as a special teams player and backup at either receiver or cornerback.Hawthorne was one of the spiritual leaders of UH’s 2007 dream season (and also made some great catches), and should not be forgotten.

Comments
  • J-Dog December 31, 2008 at 2:53 pm

I really liked when C.J. scored because Jim Leahey would say:

Touchdown! C………..J…………Hawthorne.

• Wes December 31, 2008 at 4:29 pm

Thanks Dave for keeping us informed and reminding us to not forget. Have a safe and Happy New Year!

• guardian December 31, 2008 at 10:19 pm

That’s great to hear about C.J. He always seemed to be a great competitor & team-player. Any word on Ryan Grice-Mullin?

• Dave Reardon December 31, 2008 at 11:24 pm

You too, Wes, and everyone else who participates and reads this blog. Happy New Year. Thanks for spending some of your time with us.

• BigHilo January 1, 2009 at 5:46 am

Happy New Year Dave. Thanks for keeping us informed about UH Athletics, particularly Warrior Football.

• Chuck January 1, 2009 at 8:40 am

Eh Dave…Thanks for the great news stories during 2008. Your blog keep things interesting for me as well. Looking forward to reading more of your stuff this 2009 year. All the best wishes this new year to you and your loved ones.

For CJ…carry-on the BELIEVE and ALOHA where ever you go pal….you’re already a winner and I’m looking forward to you playing in the NFL on TV this year.

• hawaii ath January 1, 2009 at 10:14 am

Thanks Dave for all the info. I hope UH players continue to get the opportunity to
    play in the NFL. Elimimian, Veikune, Mouton, and Jake should do well.
    C.J. deserves a shot. Dave, who do you think will replace coach Gerke in Hawaii?

• Dave Reardon January 1, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Haven’t heard anything on Gerke’s replacement yet. Will likely be someone who can also work with the offensive line, as UH has done in the past.

• Dave Reardon January 1, 2009 at 4:20 pm

Thanks Chuck. Same wishes to you and yours.

• kev-1 January 1, 2009 at 4:55 pm

In tune with what everyone else is saying, thanks Dave. This is a great blog. You always provide straight talk (much appreciated). And hey, your columns arent that bad either. Happy New Year to everyone and their families.

Great to hear about CJ, I forgot he was even on the Bills practice squad. I am also curious about other former Warriors. What ever happened to Jason Rivers? RGM?

• Dave Reardon January 1, 2009 at 7:42 pm

<p><p>Aloha Kev. To answer the question from you and guardian, RGM did well in Canada, according to John Nielson (Corey’s uncle who helps a lot of guys get gigs in the CFL). But Wikipedia says he’s a practice squad player. Anyway, RGM has a lot of desire and pretty good speed, so don’t count him out. I’m very surprised Jason Rivers did not get another shot somewhere after getting cut by the Titans. I thought he had the best chance among the UH receivers to make an impact in the NFL because of his size, physical toughness and big-game performances. Too bad for some of these guys on the cusp that there’s no AFL next season.</p></p>

• hawaii ath January 2, 2009 at 4:07 am

Thats true. No Afl means a lot of good potential athletes can’t show their stuff. RGM I believe is doing well for the B.C. Lions in CFL. He had a blowout game during their playoffs.

• UHM92 January 2, 2009 at 7:19 am

Dave, thanks for the great blog..been good for guys like me to keep up on the Warriors. I truly wish all the former Warriors success as they move on.

Speaking of moving on, whats in store for the Warriors for the 2009 season? I see we have Navy, Wash St., Wisconsin, and UNLV all on tap. Depending on how the players and coaches all shake out, could make for a very interesting season.

Seems like we are getting the schedules now that we wanted for this program 3-4 years ago.

Happy New Year to all. Go Warriors!

• kev-1 January 2, 2009 at 10:10 am

Thanks for the update Dave. I too thought Rivers was the best NFL prospect. I guess my scouting isn’t that great. I’ll even admit that I though Bess was going to have a Chad Owens experience in the NFL. I’m glad I was wrong.

• dk January 2, 2009 at 6:05 pm

Dave, thanks for all the great blog reading this football season and hopefully many more in 2009. Without the Football blogs I wouldn’t know who the new recruits were and all the information about our team and how they are doing. Go Warriors

• Tombo Ahi January 4, 2009 at 1:11 pm

happy belated new year to DR and the sextra!

as for jason rivers, he signed with the Spokane Shock of the AF2, which i’m pretty sure is not affected by the AFL shutdown

here’s an excerpt from the article:

“His numbers are obviously impressive; he is one of the highest-rated players that we have ever signed,” Head Coach Adam Shackleford said. “During the recruiting process, we learned that his character is every bit as impressive as his numbers on the field.”

According to Rivers, his game is not just about the numbers.

“I am a leader – in a game and in practice I lead by example,” Rivers explained. “I’m tenacious – I don’t give up. I’m definitely a go-getter on the field.”