Congrats to Katz, UH Circle of Honor inductee

February 22nd, 2011

Yuval Katz is one of three to be inducted Thursday into the UH Sport Circle of Honor. The others are Anthony Carter and the late Richard Furtado.

Comments
  • 808 February 23, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Thought I saw Robert Kekaula interviewing Yuval on last night’s news. So Yuval must be in town. AC, on the other hand, is scheduled to be on Jeff Portnoy’s radio show tonight after the Knicks game so he probably won’t be here tomorrow night (that according to Jeff’s Hoops Talk blog).

• Cindy Luis February 23, 2011 at 5:25 pm

I am confused about this blog. I had updated that Yuval was coming, mentioned in my story today. and that AC wasn’t going to make it. but the blog didn’t update.
      Yes, KITV interview Katz who brought his wife and baby girl. first time he’s been back since 1996.

• Jogga February 23, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Sorry to be off the topic but didn’t know where else to ask this question.

Cindy, Read Ann Miller’s column today about Wahine track. Read that Amber Kaufman was in a serious car accident. Hadn’t heard anything about that. Did it happen on the mainland? Do you know what happened?

• Cindy Luis February 23, 2011 at 6:35 pm

mentioned amber’s accident last December. Don’t know much about it other than her mom told me she had a scar across her forehead and her broken bones had healed.

• Courious February 24, 2011 at 7:14 am

Isn’t the first day of official spring practice for the girls coming up ?

• Cindy Luis February 24, 2011 at 7:42 am

I believe you’re right. Haven’t had a chance to chat with Shoji but should see him today at the Circle of Honor lunch.

• Curious February 24, 2011 at 8:39 am

Great ,get as much as you can out of him Cindy with the exception of recruiting of course which he can’t talk about.

We know the schedule is still missing one team for the tournaments or at least it hasn’t been made known so far also anything on spring matches would be nice to hear.

This is what we know so far on the schedule.

UCLA, Arizona, Wichita State, Pepperdine, Pacific ,Ohio State,Cincinnati,Rice, plus Notre Dame for a two match series which would come after the tournaments I’m assuming.

• Safinatot February 24, 2011 at 9:34 am

I guess no Tabi Love to Hawaii. She is at UCLA

• Safinatot February 24, 2011 at 9:34 am

I guess no Tabi Love to Hawaii. She is at UCLA for now.

• Cindy Luis February 24, 2011 at 9:43 am

are we surprised about Love to UcLA? we shouldn’t be. she had a really good relationship with Sealy during the initial recruiting process..

• Cindy Luis February 24, 2011 at 9:41 am

Haven’t seen the schedule yet. It always depends on when the WAC puts the football schedule out. then vb works around that.
    Notre Dame may be midseason during their fall semester break.

• Curious February 24, 2011 at 9:53 am

I haven’t seen any proof that Love is going to UCLA.Only a fool would believe anything on VT.Just because some anonymous person starts a rumor that she was seen at a so cal beach dosen’t mean it’s true. All we know so far is that they removed her name from the Minnesota roster which means she isn’t returning.

Same for the VT thread about Cinnamon Sary going to USC.The idiot who created that thread then says it’s a rumor.

• Curious February 24, 2011 at 10:01 am

I’m very disappointed in the way our VB program treats the fans in the off season.

After the Final Four they do a disappearing act leaving us with nothing but speculation and rumors while other coaches use tools like twitter and facebook to stay in contact with the fan base. At one time we could depend on two of our reporters to provide us with bits of information but since we lost the old Advertiser even that has gone by the wayside.

Shoji needs to understand that the season dosen’t end for the fans after the Final Four.

• Hapa February 24, 2011 at 10:20 am

Ah, I believe that the word is ‘patients’.

What do people expect a coach to say when he (more than likely) has nothing to utter, himself?!

The fans seem disapointed…can you imagine what the coaches feel? After almost 40 years of having one’s heart set upon wouldbe/promising athletes (perhaps more in the latter 10 years or so), to then have MANY–reject–turn away…can’t say that Shoji has it all that easy.

WHY more ‘internationals’ haven’t been recruited over the years (i.e. UH MVB) is my inquiry???

___

Love = UCLA…more power to ‘em. The Bruins were to have NEVER been kept down for too long. Sealy is rockin’ da house over there in Westwood…Team chemistry is the issue now, however.

Anyway. :-)

• Hapa February 24, 2011 at 10:24 am

‘patience’

• Cindy Luis February 24, 2011 at 10:08 am

Not sure what you’re asking for or what the old Advertiser gave you that you didn’t get from the Star-Bulletin or aren’t getting from the Star-Advertiser.
    They had their banquet. There was a story.
    they aren’t practicing. No news.
    What rumors would you like to clear up about the Wahine?
    Reported that there is no spring match on Oahu, that they are doing the usual round-robin with the DII schools during break.
    I wouldn’t call it a disappearing act. They aren’t in season.

As for Love, just saying I wouldn’t be surprised if she ended up at UCLA.

• Cindy Luis February 24, 2011 at 10:25 am

or patience ‘-)

They’ve looked at internationals but hasn’t happened for one reason or another. mostly academics. by the time some get qualified and pass the TOEFL or whatever the exam is called , they don’t always have 4 years of eligibility.

• Hapa February 24, 2011 at 11:15 am

I just came in under the gun. I beat you (to it) by exactly one minute. :P

I MUST be more cognizant of my word choices/spelling. Those of us patience, enough, must constantly proof posts before posting. I don’t need to suggest my laziness in doing so. I’ve been caught way to many times to claim otherwise.

Wow, laulau. This blog must belong to someone who’s experience in being an editor (or SOMETHING). Must belong to an English/journalism major, I bet you…

Aloha for making it fun!
    :-)

• Hapa February 24, 2011 at 11:19 am

One more…
      ‘too’
      so what?, fut!
      Sheesh!!!

• Cindy Luis February 24, 2011 at 1:27 pm

hope i didn’t offend you. my spellcheck isn’t always on.
      My degree … B.A. in communication studies, a degree created early my freshman year. Came in as an English (Journalism) major.
      been a sports editor/assistant sports editor for most of my 30-plus year newspaper career

• Hapa February 24, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I’m one who’s (a bit) older…been through the ringer a few times, so…short answer: NO!
        :-)

• Hapa February 24, 2011 at 8:59 pm

ONLY 7 hours late ( ;-) ), but realization of yet another error…
          ‘wr’
          I’m sooo dependant on MS Word. Jeez!

• Hapa February 24, 2011 at 11:16 am

When did your smilies start ‘really’ showing up???

My tongue is red…cool!!!

• Hapa February 24, 2011 at 1:17 pm

What ever happened to Jocelyn Levig???

(2010) 6’1′, So., @ #24 UO.
    She’s an OH, that was asked to play MB this past year; she’s no longer listed on the Ducks’ roster. Was a MAJOR power in WA State through HS, tho.

Hmm…it sounds as though Opp would be perfect for this transferring Jr. ;-)