Congrats to Umlauft, first team All-America

April 28th, 2011

UH’s release:

University of Hawaii sophomore opposite Jonas Umlauft was selected to the 10-member American Volleyball Coaches Association All-America first team, announced today.

Umlauft was the only UH player named to either the first or second teams. Last season, the Stadtbergen, Germany native was selected to the second team as well as being named AVCA Newcomer of the Year.

Umlauft led the nation in kills for the second consecutive year, averaging 5.57 per set while hitting .344, which ranks 12th nationally.

Earlier this season, Umlauft became the 13th player in school history to record 1,000 career kills and only the third player to reach that milestone in just his second season. He was named AVCA National and MPSF Player of the Week after averaging 6.29 kills per set in UH’s two-match sweep of Long Beach State in which he had 22 kills in each match.

Umlauft tallied double-figure kill totals in all 27 matches he appeared in, including 14 with 20 or more kills. At different points in the season, he had a string of five straight 20-kill matches and six of seven down the stretch of the season.

Comments
  • Hapa April 28, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I believe, “Last season, the Stadtbergen, Germany native was selected to the FIRST team…”
    :-)

• Cindy Luis April 28, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Thanks Hapa, I pasted the UH release. he was first-team All-American, second team All-MPSF.

• volleyball fan April 28, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Yes, I agree that Umlauft was the only one who deserved All-American award and can only hope that he didn’t regret choosing Hawaii since he isn’t getting enough help to make it to the Final Four. At least with the prior two star players, Yuval Katz and Costas Theoharidis, they did get lots of help from other teammates and thus made it to the Final Four.

• Jogga April 28, 2011 at 5:41 pm

My sentiments exactly. BTW, Cindy, I know I may sound like a broken record, but any word on recruits, or has Wade not returned from the mainland yet?

• Cindy Luis April 28, 2011 at 6:05 pm

spoke with Wade today. asked about NLIs. he said he’ll tell me when he gets them but he’s not worried.

• Jogga April 28, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I guess we as fans are more worried than Wade.

• Cindy Luis April 29, 2011 at 8:16 pm

yes, jogga, that is true. Wade doesn’t understand the concern. he knows who he has.