couple rules here gang

August 31st, 2007

I have had to edit some comments. I do not believe in profanity, even mild, and i don’t want words on this blog that we do not use in the newspaper. I hope you understand. you have the right to your opinion but i have the right to make sure this is a PG site.

Comments
  • Daphne Moon September 1, 2007 at 5:57 am

We all know that your intentions with this blog are good but what you did was open up another place for the the Hawai’i haters that populate Volleytalk to show up here.At some point this blog like Volleytalk and most open forums will do more to destroy than help Hawai’i and the sport as a whole.

• Cindy Luis September 1, 2007 at 11:41 am

Daphne, you do have a valid point, as anyone who reads VolleyTalk knows. But my editing was not done against a Hawaii hater. It was a fan who used what i considered inappropriate language. Not censoring anyone’s opinion here. Just want to keep it PG.

• vbhawaii September 1, 2007 at 12:56 pm

Alright people. I apologize to Tara. Having a call from Ms. T’s friend to stop my tyraid is enough for me. T you know I love you so keep aloha for me. From this day forth I will not attack you or your play. As agreed I will stick to the team as a whole. Unfortunately there will be others that seem to want to carry my torch. My blog was never meant to hurt you. Everyone has the same goal. First an above .500 winning record, then taking the WAC, make to to regionals and finally taking the championship.

Peace out.

• crazy4wvb September 1, 2007 at 12:57 pm

Cindy, I understand your opinion on not censoring anyone’s opinion but I would support you 100% if you did censor in the case where a blogger has an agenda to hurt the team. I think you know what I mean. If that becomes the case then they can start their own blog. It’s a fine line but a necessary one.

• Cindy Luis September 1, 2007 at 3:55 pm

We have really intelligent posters here and they know volleyball. I just didn’t care for some of the words used. I think it’s acceptable to criticize when it’s warranted as long as it doesn’t go too far and become too personal. these are still kids playing a game.

• Michelle September 1, 2007 at 7:04 pm

Song of the night for Wahine: “Survivor” by Destiny’s Child

The team survived:

- the hitting inefficiency of Hittle/Sanders/Gregory

- strong net play of K State

- confusion in certain rotations and passing formations

- mini mental meltdowns

All in all not a great performance, too many mistakes, but a performance that lays the foundation for the rest of the season.

The change in demeanor by the team and Shoji during the game and timeouts on the sidelines was a marked improvement.

As the TEAM improves, the greatest concern will have to be Hittle. She is such a steady all-around player that she needs to be on the court, but offensively she hitting .119. She reminds me of Jessica Sudduth, who did not make many errors but put up a lot of zeros (not a kill, not an error). Sudduth was critical in getting UH to the final four her senior year, but she didn’t have enough once UH got there.

In an interview Shoji mentioned that maybe he should have had Willoughby on the left and Sudduth on the right in 2000. He went conservative instead of dynamic and I don’t think UH will ever have enough individual physical talent for Shoji to go conservative and put together 6 big wins to take another title.

The days of scrappy UH teams keeping the ball in play long enough for the other team to make a mistake are over. The top teams are stacked with big, physical talent. He needs to rethink his philosophy about taking chances (behind the service line, offensively, etc) as gamblers in Hawaii know you need to be willing to risk a lot to win big.

Shoji is the best coach for UH because no one gets as much out of his players as he does, but his conservative philosophy of steady, high-percentage play is really hurting him in the post season.

• dasource808 September 1, 2007 at 11:08 pm

I agree with your assessment to an extent, that Tara Hittle may provide some intangibles to the team and she needs to be on the court.

However, I don’t know if she has enough firepower to be on the left side right now as she does put up a lot of zeros. It may be due to the fact that she does not have her game legs back or her court sense (being out almost a year). I hope she can live up to Shoji’s assessment as the best ball handler on the team because she has not so far (again maybe due to her lost year of playing time).

Looking back at her numbers over her career, she did the best as a right side hitter. Maybe Dave can look at this possibility again (as Suzie Boogard was the best ball handler her senior year and played on the right side). Hittle is looker better on her block nowadays too. Put Aneli on the left side for her heat, smarts, and ball-handling. Aneli, although shorter, has some intangibles of her own and her combination of competitiveness and calmness on the court is a welcome addition to the somewhat quiet and reserved on court personae of the other players. She reminds me of Jennifer Saleamua — who should have been a wahine — not that tall, but lots of “fire.”

• ACE September 2, 2007 at 8:17 am

I agree with all of your assessments. If Shoji keeps Hittle on the left side solely because she’s “worked so hard throughout the years” is thinking in an individual perspective. As a team, Hawaii needs Hittle as a passer. As a TEAM Hawaii needs her to be more consistent as an attacker. I think switching Aneli and Hittle will be good because hittle has a quick approach – which is ideal for the OPP position – and Hittle is taller, which would mean she’ll be blocking against opponents left side attackers.

As a team, Hawaii needs to find someone who can deliver rocket serves.

• Cubicle No More ... September 2, 2007 at 4:56 pm

thanks for the blog … and for keeping us in line … :-)

• Brerorask December 22, 2007 at 1:14 am

Gifts that do a world of good!
    Christmas Gifts – Postcards
    We send personalized cards for you!