Florida makes it official with release on Ferrell signing

June 30th, 2010

From Gator nation today
Three players have joined the Florida volleyball
roster for the 2010 season, head coach Mary Wise announced Wednesday.

Outside hitter Stephanie Ferrell (Los Angeles, Calif.), a junior
transfer from Hawaii, junior outside hitter Cinthya Roberto (Brasilia,
Brazil), a two-time junior college All-American from Blinn (Texas)
College, and right-side Tangerine Wiggs (Seattle, Wash.), a sophomore
transfer from Washington State, each join the Gators for the 2010
campaign and are eligible to compete this season.
Ferrell, a 6-foot-1 outside hitter, joins the Gators after two seasons
at the University of Hawaii, where she was a second-team All-Western
Athletic Conference selection as a sophomore in 2009 and was part of the
team’s NCAA regional semifinal appearance. She will have two seasons of
eligibility remaining.

Ferrell played in 68 matches in her two seasons with the Wahine, ranking
10th in the WAC in kills per set last season with 2.64. After averaging
29 kills in seven sets of the Stanford Regional last season, she was
named to the NCAA All-Region team. She holds career highs of 19 kills, a
.600 hitting percentage and three service aces.

Comments
  • Jun Tao July 1, 2010 at 7:27 am

I think the public would rather see news about the current Rainbow Wahine players rather then former ones that are with other programs.

• CHUY July 1, 2010 at 7:55 am

to jun tao

i couldnt agreee more!!!

• wow lau lau July 1, 2010 at 8:16 am

I want to hear about Ferrell so thank you Cindy. Haters will hate.

• zzzzzz July 1, 2010 at 11:38 am

“Regional semifinal appearance?” Are they just ignoring the regional final and national semifinal?

• Cindy Luis July 1, 2010 at 2:20 pm

yep, they should have mentioned national semifinal. I’ll remind their SID.

Guess you can’t please everyone. People asked what happened to Ferrell, it gets answered, and then now people don’t want to know?

Posted the official release since all i had before was a confirmation from a good source.

• RedZone July 1, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Thanks for the info Cindy. good luck to Ferrell

• krump1 July 1, 2010 at 4:24 pm

The only thing I ever wanted to know about Ferrell was WHY she left in the first place. She seemed like a good player that was just beginning to play consistently & now Florida is the darn beneficiary. What made her so unhappy here??? Why is it such a secret???

• kazu July 1, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Maybe Ferrell had problems with other players and/or coaches.Whatever it was she needs to be where she will be happy,and i wish her well in Florida.

• Cindy Luis July 1, 2010 at 4:40 pm

It’s not that it’s a huge secret but there is always a problem with student confidentiality issues. Although no one would go on the record it appears it had to do with academics. The reason she didn’t transfer in spring is because she had to show academic progress before she could get accepted elsewhere.
    Was a little surprised she’d go all the way to Florida. Thought she’d want to be closer to L.A. Hope she is happy there.

• wow lau lau July 1, 2010 at 9:39 pm

So Cindy, if Ferrell hypothetically had academic issues and had to show academic progress to transfer out, why wouldn’t she just stay at UH? I mean if her grades improved, then wouldn’t that issue be fixed? I’m guessing other factors are part of the transfer? I always felt that she was not used enough during a match. The setter would set other hitters even when she was clearly open. And when she did get set, she did not have the greatest sets. Most of the time she got Ka’aihue to bump set her usually resulting in a block or a hit in the net because it was an out of system play.

• ingoodstanding July 4, 2010 at 9:17 am

Okay…if Cindy won’t speculate, I will. The ‘system’ @ UH (aka ‘Asian’ style *authoritarian, hopefully not autocratic mind you*) is too much for some (particularly African Americans).

“Straight up,”…”keeping it real” in African American terms means a total clash with (in this case) Japanese culture(s). It’s hard enough for Farell to ‘make it’ in a White, Male Dominated society; top this with the usual stoic/emotionless (a la Dave/Japanese characterture–generally the antithesis of your usual charismatic, African Americans’ soul–and you don’t end up with ‘happy campers’ (all the way around).

Boy, I hope this doesn’t run me too deep into the hole. :-)I’m just expounding upon my own life’s experiences; just sharing what little (i presume) known.

*I suspect that Ferell will only play one more year at tops at UoF, anyway. She should have a major declared already and if it’s all about academics, then she’s more than likely only going to be in Florida for the first academic simester. She may be headed home to LA, thereafter, with her VB career finalized.

• Cindy Luis July 5, 2010 at 4:11 pm

you are so far off base with the whole race thing.

• ingoodstanding July 6, 2010 at 5:23 am

I am a good part Japanese, myself. Grandma is full Japanese.

Yes, what i’ve uttered is controversial…

Your son went to Iolani? What did he suggest it was like???

• Cindy Luis July 6, 2010 at 2:55 pm

not sure what you’re asking about ‘Iolani. the biggest difficulty was in being from the Windward side and coming in at 9th grade.

• Cindy Luis July 1, 2010 at 9:55 pm

I’m sure there are other things that went on the led to her departure but I’m not going to speculate. You also have to remember that when the season started, she was playing on a leg that had been broken about five months earlier. The coaches weren’t expecting that she’d be back and available to play until the WAC season, if not later.
    I don’t think she got used to her vertical not being what it once was and she eventually adjusted it toward the end of the season as she got stronger. Don’t think the teams in the postseason were expecting her to be so consistent as she was since the scouting report on her was that she inconsistent.

• Cindy Luis July 1, 2010 at 9:57 pm

as for why she didn’t stay, she asked for the release in January and bridges may have been burned that didn’t allow her to change her mind. I don’t know that for sure but both sides moved on very quickly.

• ingoodstanding July 6, 2010 at 4:23 pm

I like you, Cindy. You’re fresher than the morning mist on a cool Manoa morning! :-)

How does one ‘run out’ of a “Reply” option on a perhaps limited amount/prescribed number of utterances???

9th grade @ 5:30am, eh? I lived in Waikiki. :-(