Washington 3, Hawaii 2

December 1st, 2012

Finally got to Laie. was listening on radio most of the ride.

Hawaii wins set 1 25-20, Hartong with 11 kills

UW wins Set 2 25-20 after they floppled there block to get a better handle on Hartong. Couple of net violations didn’t help UH.

Hawaii wins Set 3 25-19.

It’s tied in Set 4 7-7

Hartong with 21 kills, Croson 15, Vorster 6, Kastl 5, Adolpho 5

3 aces, 8 SE, 52 digs, 3 blocks

UW 2 aces, 6 SE, 39 digs, 10 blocks

Comments
  • sunandsurf December 1, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Hawaii struggling now; gatta turn things around quick or it’ll go to a 5th game….

• sunandsurf December 1, 2012 at 7:14 pm

… Damn. I guess it’ll be decided by a 5th. :-(

• jmy December 1, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Michigan State beat UCLA…

• Cindy Luis December 1, 2012 at 7:17 pm

UW wins 27-25 on to Set 5.

• Cindy Luis December 1, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Yes, see scores thread

• Cindy Luis December 1, 2012 at 7:25 pm

UW up 8-7 at the changeover

• Cindy Luis December 1, 2012 at 7:26 pm

UW up 9-7. TO UH

• Cindy Luis December 1, 2012 at 7:30 pm

UW up 11-7. TO UH
            same rotation that hurt UH in Set 2. Orlandini serving

• jmy December 1, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Tough to come back in this one…

• Cindy Luis December 1, 2012 at 7:33 pm

UH pulls to 13-10
    TO UW

• Cindy Luis December 1, 2012 at 7:36 pm

UW wins 15-10

• sunandsurf December 1, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Where is the middle attack; too predictable….

• jmy December 1, 2012 at 7:35 pm

UH being outblocked 15-5…

• jmy December 1, 2012 at 7:37 pm

The blocking decided it…all the other stats were pretty even…too bad…

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Just an awful loss, UH tried to ride the OH again, way too predictable too many dumb mistakes, serves out by Lelepali and Maeda in crucial situations really hurt too.

• Orbitalripz December 1, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Agree. The supporting cast never showed up, and when they did they flubbed their lines. ( Maeda choked in an important serve towards the end of Set 4 and then again in Set 5. Lelepali, like Tuinanga, was more harmful than helpful. Etc.) I should bite my tongue. It is what it is.

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 10:29 pm

It wasn’t one of Maeda’s better matches this season, unfortunately, that ace she gave up in set 4 really hurt, Munoz serve is tough as heck though but still a senior DS should make that pass to her setter on set point.

• Hot December 2, 2012 at 7:27 am

Please. I know you’re frustrated but I don’t think it’s fair to single out Maeda. So she was aced and served out. She’s been steady all season long. Perhaps the most consistently good on the team besides Hartong. According to some UW fans, Maeda was actually giving the UW receivers trouble with her serve. Just because she’s a senior doesn’t mean she can’t make a mistake. As for Lelepali, she’s been doing well earlier in the season until Shoji pulled her so he could give Long some playing time. To Long’s credit, she’s been improving in the role that she has given. As for Kam, maybe she and Lelepali are interchangeable, and Shoji went with the more experienced Lelepali.

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I hate UW so much and their smug coach.

• Mike December 1, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Give credit to udub. They made plays when they had to. Where was the right attack once again

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 8:08 pm

for sure, that midget outside they have killed us all night, I still hate them though, especially their coach.

• Fed up December 1, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Hawaii’s DS/serving specialists lost it. They should rarely if EVER miss a serve, let alone multiple times in a match. Shoji does not have to keep doing locals girls a favor and let them stay home and play…. They could always tryout for BYUH, Chaminade, etc. Too slow to play D1

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Their only job is too serve in , it really hurts when they don’t do that but can’t blame them only. Emily H really should have ended that match point, she should have at least kept it in play or tipped , she knew set was too low, and Gil was right there and she just powered it right at Gil, that really hurt.

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Not blaming hartong by the way, she was fantastic hiting over two or three blockers all match. my gripe is the setting…. Jade and Kalei hit over .400 and they should be set way more than they were….

• Fed up December 1, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Yes, that is true. wonder why G Long didn’t play more? They were all struggling with serving, but she’s way better and quicker on D.

• Mike December 2, 2012 at 12:25 am

What about Kastl and Vorster? huh Fed up? Kastl been a disappointment all year. I really thought she was a lot better. remember all her kills at ASU?

• Mike December 2, 2012 at 12:22 am

So what mainland girl wants to come without a scholarship and play ds? I thought so.

• warriorfan December 2, 2012 at 9:00 am

Alex Griffiths, Katie, Spieler, Sarah Mendoza, and so and so on….

• Mike December 3, 2012 at 8:52 am

I’ll pass on all of them as a starter. Get real.

• jmy December 1, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Getting outhit .357 to .087 in the 5th set didn’t help either…

• PurpleMaple December 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Middle and right side attack MIA.

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 7:48 pm

What the heck, the middles both hit over .400. they both need to learn to be better blockers but they did their job, just weren’t set enough!!

• jmy December 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm

If it’s any consolation, Nebraska will probably wipe the floor with them…

• jersey girl December 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm

what’s sad is the middle attack & right side numbers

• dedicatedfan December 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Wait till NEXT YEAR, Taylor cannot come here soon ENOUGH. Taylor on the RS, the Wahine will be unstoppable. Add in Higgins, in place of Stauber. A BIGGER, Stronger, Vorster. The girls need to learn from this season, DO NOT take a play, set, or match off, NEXT YEAR. DO NOT leave anything up to the Selection Committee. YOU GIRLS HAD A WONDERFUL YEAR, BUT NEXT YEAR WILL BE EVEN BETTER!!!!!

• gabs December 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm

on the upside. 4 seeds go down. 3 of them op 10 seeds.
    next year we return all, but one, consistent inspirational, player.

• Manu December 1, 2012 at 7:48 pm

agreed Gabs. Will miss Maeda and her positive attitude.

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Yeah she will be missed, even though she was aced to end set 4. that really hurt, she’s usually steady.

• Grammy December 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Ugh, Once again Hawaii and their second round opponent play a game that should have been in the round of 8 or final 4. Wahine heart or should it be Hart(ong) on display. Wahine at home would have taken game 4 and ended it, that’s not what they got so too bad but I don’t blame the Wahine they left it all on the floor once again. Hold your heads up high girls, you certainly deserved better treatment from the NCAA committee but nearly beat the odds. Still my team. Still the Rainbow Wahine.

• rainmaker December 1, 2012 at 7:44 pm

It’s all about the
    Left side…as usual…what a surprise

• GO BOWS! December 1, 2012 at 7:45 pm

2 CRUCIAL serving errors and an “out” ball plagued the wahine. like last year, the smallest plays beat them. as well as the block …..

• Manu December 1, 2012 at 7:47 pm

A real bummer. A close set 4 where I was positive Wahines had it. I’m with you Grammy. Hold your heads up high Wahines, because you are true Champions in our eyes.

• beauston December 1, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Hey guys, enough with the complaining already, I have not seen the girls play at this level, and you can tell, they were all playing with hearts. As a fan, I could not have for more.
    Yes, I agree, Blocking and service errors at crucial time hurt us. I dont know why Shoji stuck with Lelepali but her last service error was the crucial transition point.
    But there are so many upside with this team, everyone coming back next year except Maeda. UCLA went down in 4-THE DEFENDING CHAMPS, at least Wahine fought till the 5 set. I knew the 5 set thriller will come back to hurt us at crucial time, but they played their hearts out there.
    I am proud of this team, they need to come back to a heroes welcome to the Islands. This team showed the little girls in the state of hawaii right now that you might not be from the mainland, but in Hawaii, we played with hearts. And wherever that takes you, you have to be proud.

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 7:56 pm

True they finally played to their potential still made too many mistakes that they shouldn’t at this point.. Washington is good but beatable ( their middles stink hitting wise)

this program really needs to advance past the 3rd round soon!!! 3 straight years of not advancing past round 3 is shameful and needs to end ( granted the seeding has been hard or UH). Next year elite 8/final 4 or bust!!! Come on ladies work hard and make that your goal.

• Manu December 1, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Indeed Beauston. Hawaii’s Wahines and Dave Soji has always been successful.

• GO BOWS! December 1, 2012 at 7:56 pm

i’m proud of them! with all the things that went against them. next year!! final four baby!

funny how no.7, no.11, no.10, AND no.9 went down in the first 2 rounds. and one of them was the defending champs. would’ve been nice to take out a fifth.

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I am proud of them too, they went out fighting.

• Kazu December 1, 2012 at 8:01 pm

Didn’t watch the match,but i predicted UH in 5. Guess they fell short. Well, another 8 months before we start all over again.Is Taylor and Higgins good enough to be starters next season? Anybody???

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Nothing against Uiato but I hope Higgins is. I like her a lot. She sets her middles any chance she gets. I could totally see Vorster averaging over 4 kills a set with Higgins setting her.

• dedicatedfan December 1, 2012 at 8:21 pm

The one thing that was holding Shoji back from using Stauber more, was that Stauber is not a real good blocker, but Higgins is.

• Imua562 December 2, 2012 at 12:55 am

how do you trust an inconsistent attack from the right side and also don’t you think Dave is telling Mita to set the OH???? He’s always done it that way, live and die on the outside. Unfortunately that doesn’t work any more! Mita is more than capable of forcing the middle and right but not when there is a higher chance of the others swinging for a point. Rotating players hurt this year for stability – look at UCLA! Sometimes too many options leads you away from what could gel and be your strongest lineup that can fight thru situations like Washington did tonight.

• Mike December 2, 2012 at 5:26 am

Love how you are fine to put some blame on Uiato but give the rs a free pass?

• warriorfan December 2, 2012 at 8:51 am

What the heck are u talking about?? I dont give a free pass to the right, Kastl struggled with UW’s b ig block, while Olevao and Goodman didn’t get set enough period to really judge,

Kaslt is not a right she is more comfortable on the left, Goodman is not a power hitter and Olevao is just a freshmen so it’s easy to see why they struggled most of the season.

• Mike December 3, 2012 at 8:53 am

Dude, you need to get a life.

• Robin December 1, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Big kudos to the Hawaii fans at the game!!!

Shucks, even if they probably would have lost at Nebraska in the next round, this one would have been really sweet…like the win vs. USC in the regional semis, though they got blown by UCLA the next night (a few years back).

• SamIAm December 1, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Wow , we gotta have more out of the MIDDLE and the RIGHT
    , That is all i have heard ALL YEAR ,Bla, Bla, Bla , Well you Gotta Get The Ball to the MIDDLE or the RS, If not YOU are completely and totally to PREDICTABLE . Let me guess where its going , could it possibly be going to Hartong humhh , no wait croson,humhh , Just like i said last night they were camped out on them . Anyway they played a good game ,but not a great one . C YA next time . Now they can come home and concentrate on whats important SCHOOL…. GO WAHINE !!!!!!!!!!

• Zig December 1, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Proud of the girls. So tough to lose again in a close match, but that’s what happens in the tournament. Really good teams can lose. It just comes down to a few points. I think if we had a terminating right-side attack, this team would’ve had a legitimate shot at a championship. I’m hoping Nikki Taylor can deliver on the right side next year. If so, and if everyone stays healthy, Hawaii will be one of a handful of favorites for the national championship.

• SamIAm December 1, 2012 at 8:06 pm

GREEN EGGS & HAM , SamIAm

• volleyball fan December 1, 2012 at 8:19 pm

It’s truly a heartbreaker to have had match point in set 4 and couldn’t put them away when they had a chance. But then a few weeks ago, UW averted 14 match points against Oregon. That would have been even a bigger heart breaker. But then we expected a five-game match. They should return home as heroines nonetheless and now they can turn their full attention to final and not have to worry about facing Nebraska. Next year, they’ll go farther.

• beauston December 1, 2012 at 8:25 pm

wow, onto next season already I see, geez, at least let the girls come home first. we’ve got a lot of time between now and August 2013 to be thinking about that.
    Trust me, you guys will be running out of topics here by mid June, so reserve any thoughts till then.

I do have to give a big shout out to Cindy and the regular bloggers on this blog for filling us fans at the mainland with info true or false anything about Wahine. I really appreciate it.
    I was one of those fans really upset last year from other fans who kept saying, “we’ll have a better year next year” specially knowing we were losing Danielson, but there’s something about this group of girls and the the passion they shared with all of us along with the incoming frosh that makes me say, ALOHA for now UDUB, but we’ll see you again next year.

• dedicatedfan December 1, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I must be surprising Cindy, cause I am not ranting and raving, like I usually do after the Wahine lose. Like I said all along, I just wanted the Wahine to go as far as they could this year, with alot of first time players. I include Hartong among them, since she played a new position. This is a learning and team bonding year. With 2 excellent recruits coming in next year, to add to the already talented mix of players, next year will be something to see.

• Manu December 1, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Indeed Dedicatedfan. Dave was juggling who to put on the left side, and kept rotating the middles throughout the whole season. Next year will definitely be more secure. But I like how he’s done it for years………Stabilty with variety. Keeps opponents guessing.

• dedicatedfan December 1, 2012 at 8:29 pm

People, even me, have been wishing for FF to appear, the last 3 years or so. Well FF will finally appear in the form of Nicky Taylor. Now we will see what kind of team the Wahine have next year. Or, should I say, how awesome they will be.

• dedicatedfan December 1, 2012 at 8:31 pm

In my opinion, we will see a very different Wahine team next year. A more sophisticated team.

• Gogetem December 1, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I have to say I was a little bit concerned Croson played really well last night because she rarely has two good games in a row back to back and tonight kind of suffered. The difference of the 4 points in the fifth set is the 4 errors they made at 7-7.

• setaone December 1, 2012 at 8:34 pm

What a disappointing loss, but NOT a disappointing way to lose. The Wahine left it all out on the floor.

These past two matches were perhaps the best the Wahine have played all season. It does suck that this match happened in round 2 and not a Regional. What sucks even more……the Selection Committee probably doesn’t even care.

• sunandsurf December 1, 2012 at 9:03 pm

As I’ve said before, I’m not as enlightened as I would like to be but I’m pretty sure the committee doesn’t care; that just burns me up….

• Manu December 1, 2012 at 8:43 pm

• setaone December 1, 2012 at 8:45 pm

How even was this match….both teams scored the exact same number of points.

• Gogetem December 1, 2012 at 8:45 pm

We say the same thing year after year after year. They will be better, they shouldn’t be playing someone good in the second round or regional, or they should have hosted, so on and so on. We do have some great players especially Hartong this year but for some reason we need to get some outstanding players that can really play when it counts. We are missing something – not sure what it is. Don’t think we can attract top players especially with the administration UH has.

• dedicatedfan December 1, 2012 at 8:52 pm

What were missing this year is a dominant RS player. She will be here next year, signed, sealed and delivered in the form of Nikki Taylor. With her and a better, if that can be, Hartong, and a more steady Croson, watch out the rest of the NCAA teams. And I do not care what the Stanford’s or Penn St’s have next year. Bring them all on, the Wahine will teach each one of them a good old-fashion Wahine lesson.

• Gogetem December 1, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Sorry I don’t know much about Taylor. Is she a specific RS hitter?

• dedicatedfan December 1, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Yes, that is her normal position. You could compare her to Lily K. but on the RS.

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 9:08 pm

No she’s an OH/RS 6′ 4, IMO has the potential to be a Clay Stanley type for the wahine in that she has a cannon arm and is surprisingly moble for someone of that size.

• Mike December 3, 2012 at 8:54 am

Just wondering, did you ever watch her play before?

• Jon December 1, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I was there, and that was a great match. I am so disappointed that it was the second round. I hope someone slaps the selection committee around a little. I mean, Kansas at 11? OUT. That’s crazy talk that they even got a seed. Excited for what next year will bring…

• Gogetem December 1, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Unfortunately the committee will keep on keeping on because no one can stop them.

• dedicatedfan December 1, 2012 at 9:04 pm

What Higgins brings to the Wahine next year, which they have not had in a long time, is a very offensive minded setter. I was amazed at how well Higgins can play the OH position, watching her do that in those senior tournament type matches.

• Gogetem December 1, 2012 at 9:12 pm

But will they be abe to play as Freshmans. That is going to be a big question since it is different between high school and college. We really don’t know if they are able to transition in their first year. If not, well . . .

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Kansas at 11 was such a joke just like northern iowa last season seeded 4 spots higher than UH, but Dave has to play the rpi game next season,, schedule those east coast schools( big east, Big 10 and sec teams) that usually win and are ranked high in the rpi, somehow get them to come to the SSC. No more idaho’s, or san franciscos please!!!

• dedicatedfan December 1, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Only problem, those teams are scared to come out here. Even Penn St. is scared to come out here. More so next year, with the kind of team the Wahine will have.

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 9:14 pm

It’s , probably more that their budget doesn’t let them.

I will be really unhappy if we get some WAC/ or WCC ( unless it’s BYU, San Diego or Pepp) teams here in the preseason tourneys, they wont help the rpi!

• Gogetem December 1, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Does it really matter? Did the committee really take that into consideration? I think they put all the teams they want to win in one basket and shake them around and match them according to how they pull out the names. Then they put all the names of the schools they don’t care about (Hawaii) and again, shake them around and match them according to how they pull out the names. It certainly doesn’t make sense on how they match up the teams.

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Yes! RPI matters, UH MUST be well ahead of top 16 next year, to leave NO doubt, preferrably top 8…

• dedicatedfan December 1, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Come on, you think Penn St’s or Nebraska’s, or any other Big Ten, or Big 8, or SEC Team’s budget is holding them back from coming here. All those schools, in those conferences, have 4 to 5 times the budget that Hawaii has.

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Well Nebraska comes here, they just don’t like coming for REAL matches, just spring exhibitions…..

• dedicatedfan December 1, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Now on to the next Wahine sports team that can make a statement, in the NCAA Tournament. The Wahine Softball Team, which is also loaded this NCAA Sports Year.

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 9:17 pm

you will probably turn on them and Coolen eventually like always lol

• dedicatedfan December 1, 2012 at 9:24 pm

What hurt the Wahine Softball Team last year, Coolen overused Steph, she had nothing left come Tournament time.

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 9:25 pm

What do u think is gonna happen this year with the aussie??? She will probably start 95 percent of the games.

• dedicatedfan December 1, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I truly hope that does not happen. Hoping against hope, Coolen learned his lesson last year, by overusing Steph.

• GO BOWS! December 1, 2012 at 9:17 pm

i am so stoked for next year!
    pretty good season for a “rebuilding” year.

• dedicatedfan December 1, 2012 at 9:27 pm

warriorfan, so Nebraska comes here for exhibition matches, whoop tee do. Why do they not come here when it counts.

• Gogetem December 1, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Wow, UH men’s basketball lost, UH women’s basketball lost, UH women’s volleyball lost, UH football won. Who would have thunk it?

• dedicatedfan December 1, 2012 at 9:32 pm

This is a learning year, in most all Hawaii sports. The BIG year will be next year, in most all UH sports programs.

• Gogetem December 1, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Well, as bad as we feel, I can only imagine how Emily Hartong (superwoman who played her heart out and by the way she was playing, you know she didn’t want to lose), Emily Maeda (last game), and Dave Shoji (probably pure frustration because of the committee) feel.

• WaWa December 1, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I agree with Fed Up…the DS’s/Serving Specialist were a Bust. We midas well have just had Vorster serve. Taking Long as a DS is an absolute WASTE! She’s supposedly a scholarship OH, but has been relegated to nothing but DS duties. The entire State of Hawaii already knows that Dave would rather burn (waste) a red-shirt year of a promising player than to even trust Long hitting and that was against Big West teams! Now that he has a bunch of OH’s (Croson, Hartong, Kastl, Goodman, & now Olevao) what he really needed was one more legit DS. Seemed like he trusted Kawamura with serving towards the end of the season. With her, at least her natural position is Lib/DS. Taking her would have been a smarter investment. Did Kam even make the trip?? She serves better than Long.

Lelepali was a disappointment. For a DS with more experience under her belt, you think she would NOT have made another service error in her life after that pivotal one in game 4. Wasn’t one of Maeda’s strongest performances, but you know the team plays for her.

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Yes those serves out by Lelepali, Long and Maeda were deflating. But calling them a bust is a bit much..

Ginger and Lelepali should go talk to Kanoe Kamanao, I swear that girl never missed a serve in clutch situations or hardly ever.

• WaWa December 1, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Wasn’t including Maeda in the Bust statement as she is a Libero. But like I said, Lelepali’s performance was disappoint since she is one of the more experienced DS’s.

A while ago somebody said that Shoji was grooming Long to be the next Libero. PLEASE, No!!!! Just cause a OH didn’t cut it in the front row, does not make them capable of high level DS duties.

You’re right about Kamanao, as I don’t remember her serving game to Ever come up as an issue. Serving is a mental game…our two DS’s did not display mental toughness when needed.

• uhfan December 1, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Shoji’s never said that about Long. He’s said they found a role for her as serving specialist and she’s taken it and run with it.

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Long has a very tough serve, but she misses more than she should , but she’s just a freshmen.
            I hope she can develop that serve like Munoz from UW, that was deadly.

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Maeda is not a libero this year, she was a DS as well.
          Longo is the libero and she played amazing, girl really knows when to step it up when the competition is tough like Jane does.

• WaWa December 1, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Lmfao…you’re ABSOLUTELY right. I need to stop posting while drinking.

Maeda…Defensive Specialist for Opp.

Long, Lelepali…Defensive Specialist but more specifically Serving Specialist.

It was the Serving Specialist position that was disappointing. Although, Maeda may have missed a crucial serve also she has leeway in my book for the intangibles that she adds to the team.

Also, didn’t mean to suggest that Dave said he was grooming Long to be the future Libero. It was a poster here/VTalk that suggested that it’s possible that is what he is doing. Which I would sure hope not. Once LongO is gone…I would sure hope he acquires a Scholarship worthy Lib. Not just reward a current one because of seniority. We need a LEGIT replacement for Longo & I do not think that she currently exists on our roster.

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Okay now that the sting of that bitter loss is gone,
    It should be an interesting off season.

Will Hartong train with the national team? I really hope so and that she gets to play in some tournaments with the A or B USA team.

Will TK stay or graduate and move on?? if she decides to move on,wahine could be getting a new recruit or transfer.

Hope Ginger and Lelepali practice those serves , they need to be clutch and not miss as many.

Hope the blocking improves, Scott has his work cut out for him, that’s where we missed Brit ( she always came up huge in the tourney blocking wise) But I think Vorster can improve.

Can’t wait for Warrior and Beach volleyball… I know beach volleyball will be good but Hope the warriors are better this season for Charlie’s sake.

• Gogetem December 1, 2012 at 10:16 pm

I’m not that high on TK. She cost us 2 points in Set 4 by going into the net twice. She has been around a long time but pretty ineffective.

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 10:23 pm

She wasn’t even in set 4, u mean set 2 right??

• Gogetem December 1, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Well, whatever set she was in. She cost us 2 points.

• dedicatedfan December 1, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Just thinking, with the number of Outside Hitters the Wahine will have, and the additional of Higgins, could we not possibly see a 6-2 offense, next year. Think about it, they will have all the ingredients to run it. Two exceptional setters, to go along with outside hitters, Hartong, Croson, Kastl, Olevao, Taylor, Goodman, and that Junior hitter that is walking on. Something to think about.

• uhfan December 1, 2012 at 10:00 pm

What JR. hitter are you talking about? Passi? I thought she was redshirting next season.

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Passi is supposed to be redshirting but you never know..
        If her serve and defense can help….she might get activated.

• Gogetem December 1, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Who is Passi?

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 10:23 pm

junior college player of the year, committed to UH for next season.

• warriorfan December 1, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Nope, but I could see one of the setters playing as defensive/specialist/serving sub ala Steph Brandt. Uiato and Higgins both have good serves.

• dedicatedfan December 1, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Well, if Dave decides to go with a 6-2 offense next year, there really will be no need for a defensive specialist position. Uiato can play the back row, and what I have seen, so can Higgins.

• WaWa December 1, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Um, hi…the DS’s were serving for the MB’s. So there would still be a “need” for DS’s to server for the middle. Unless the Setters took out the MB’s & we had 2 left-side hitters and 2 right-side hitters, then the Libero could take out either the Lefts/Rights and that would leave two capable servers, but the lib could serve for the weaker server/defender.

However, this line up is highly unlikely.

• dedicatedfan December 1, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Think about this attacking front, one group would have, Hartong, Vorster, and Kastl or Olevao, the other group would have Croson, Adolpho, and Nikki Taylor. How awesome would that be. If they double Hartong and Croson, that would leave the RS player with only one blocker. Not to mention the Middles. If Kassi, is anywhere close to how Aneli played, watch out. Washington proved a 5’8 player can play the outside.

• Orbitalripz December 1, 2012 at 10:36 pm

———————————————-
    Washington was ranked #5 while Hawai’i was ranked #8 in the last AVCA Top 25 Poll before the NCAA Championship tournament began.

Remember all the controvery that was started with someone saying the NCAA committee would take into account the AVCA, Pablo, etc. in seeding the Top16? And then someone saying the NCAA Championship manual only says (as it has always said, as far as I know) that rankings outside of the NCAA RPI are just one of the many tools made available to the committee, which the committee may or may not use as it so chooses.

Here’s my modest proposal.

I would be in favor of the NCAA committee adopting a rule that says, “No top 16 team as ranked in the last AVCA Top 25 prior to NCAA Selection Sunday can be placed in the same subregional as another AVCA top 16 team.” Something like that.

Thus, 8th-ranked Hawai’i would have never been placed in the same subregional as 5th-ranked Washington — even if Hawai’i went unseeded by the NCAA.

Pipe dreams, I know.

• dedicatedfan December 1, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Here is a better option, the Selection Committee, has to use the AVCA poll to seed teams, then the RPI to select and place the at-large teams.