Hawaii’s RPI No. 11 today

November 28th, 2010

There was a comment earlier about how (on VT) that the committee followed the RPI strictly. Have to disagree. the only thing they really followed is that the top 16 RPI got seeded. Hawaii would have been very happy to be No. 11, play Alabama A&M, then be looking at a second round vs. the winner of Miami (FLA)-Indiana instead of looking at a second round of Michigan-Washington
I’m looking at the one “generated at 11:11 AM Today (Sunday) sooooo you compare:
RPI Seed
Hawaii 11 15
Texas 12 9
Duke 13 12
Tennessee 14 11
Purdue 15 16
LSU 16 13

Comments
  • Jogga November 28, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Again, NCAA stands for NO CLUE AT ALL!!!

• Warrior15 November 28, 2010 at 12:48 pm

i made that comment.

the committee followed the RPI strictly for the at-large bids. the cutoff was RPI 46. no “IFs, ANDS or BUTs…”

the 16 seeds came from the top 16 RPI, with teams being moved around within.

that’s still pretty rigid to me… if the committee had done the same last year, Hawaii wouldn’t have been seeded at all (remember that they were outside the top 16 RPI).

but i would think that the movement/shifting of the teams within the top 16 seeds/RPI was expected based on the regionalization factors considered by the committee, as well as the location of the regional sites this year (Washington, Dayton, Penn St, Texas).

• Cindy Luis November 28, 2010 at 3:14 pm

Thanks for clarifying, WF. You did say that about movement.
      Trying to answer all the posts while working in the office.

• Warrior15 November 28, 2010 at 3:41 pm

no prob cindy … just putting info out there to add to the discussion … looking forward to the observations in the article …

• Yabba - Dabba - Doo November 28, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Am I the only smuck looking forward instead of whining about something we have no control over ?

One at a time folks.

Portland State-21-8

* Big Sky Auto Bid

* Common opponents,lost to Boise State in 5 lost to SJS in 5

* Hawai`i 8-0 all time series

* Final RPI 110

* Head Coach Michael Seemann’s quote on Hawai`i, “I don’t know a whole lot about them. I know they have Brittany Hewitt, a senior middle who helped them get to the semis last year. She’s very punchy and a good-sized middle blocker.

*Team web site. http://www.goviks.com/index.aspx?path=wvball

• Warrior15 November 28, 2010 at 12:54 pm

nope … can’t wait for it all to start…

Hawaii’s been given a tough path … but i’ll be exciting volleyball.

And I think hawaii can beat all in their quarter of the bracket to get to a 2nd straight final four…

• Alec November 28, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Hawai’i has faced Whitney Phillips before. She transferred from New Mexico State. She’s averaging 4.81 kills and 3.01 digs per set and hits .221 on the year.

• Jogga November 28, 2010 at 1:14 pm

The funny thing about we as UH’s adoring volleyball fans – we expect the NCAA to finally let UH play at home or give them a better ranking – we expect this year after year after year. We continue to have high expectations because the team played well during the year, or got to the final four last year, or Dave was coach of the year last year. We keep forgetting – it is the NCAA. Next year, I will not let my expectations be too high. That way I won’t be so diappointed. However, I do believe UH will get through the 1st and 2nd rounds. After that it may be a crapshoot. They will really have to be at the top of their game. The only problem is all the other teams will be at the top of their game.

• Spike November 28, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Well, I’m happy all the Pollyannas are out with their rose-colored glasses with unicorns and rainbows.

The fact is Hawaii will be lucky to get past the second round. The same round that is a cakewalk for other teams. That is why this is unfair. Our girls work very hard all year only to constantly get shafted. It won’t be that other teams who may go further in the tournament are better than them, it will only be that they were given favored status.

I really hope the Wahine do well but to skip around throwing flower petals about them having to beat Washington AT Washington, Nebraska and Cal (all top 12 teams) to even get to the final four is ridiculous. I am not whining. I am stating a fact that it is REALLY unfair to the Wahine.

• RYK November 28, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I think what bothers a lot of people is that not only doesn’t Hawaii get to host, but that each year they always get the most difficult second round matchups in the tourney. They had Texas few years ago, and USC twice and now Washington, all on the road. If this type of thing happened once or twice I could understand it, but it happens every year.

I wish they could do it like the basketball tournament and seed all 64 teams that way would be a lot fairer. But judging from the treatment the selection show got (5-10) minutes! I doubt that many people really care.

• naitsric November 28, 2010 at 3:09 pm

No rose petals here. But I wouldn’t count Hawaii out. When the wahine play in system, they are hard to beat. All they need is a good pass. And passing they’ve done all season. Loss to USU – yes. But on the flipside, the teams we face are not all lock ins. Let’s be honest. Yes, this will be a tough region, but like it is for Hawaii, so it will be for the rest of ‘em. They are looking at Hawaii just like Hawaii is looking at them…..knowing it won’t be easy.

• naitsric November 28, 2010 at 3:14 pm

And I wouldn’t count USU out either. They beat ASU earlier this season who also beat CAL. And when they beat UH in the WAC championship match last week, they were a much better team. Not even trying to say they are one and done. And not saying they are good enough to take CAL down convincingly. But what I do think is that it won’t be easy. The Aggies can do amazing things. I’m sure CAL won’t take them lightly. And best case scenario is if Hawaii and USU meet for the final. That would be awesome! Not only for conference bragging rights, but because we have some unfinished business!

• Cindy Luis November 28, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Don’t see any rose petals strewn about here. Bottom line is Hawaii was put in the toughest bracket there was where the other brackets are cakewalks for the higher seeds. The only good thing is if they win two, they don’t have to travel. They can stay at UW.

• Cindy Luis November 28, 2010 at 3:21 pm

I wouldn’t count Utah State out either. But Cal has played very well at home. If USU can serve and block well, they have a shot.

• Howard November 28, 2010 at 3:55 pm

USU will only be there one day, trust me they’re going to beat Cal.

• Howard November 28, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Correction they’re NOT going to beat Cal.

• Howard November 28, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I get so sick of hearing about how we got screwed.Most of the teams got screwed if you asked them.Suck it up and go do what you did last year is what I say.

• Lyle November 29, 2010 at 12:03 am

In the playoffs if u wanna be somebody, u gotta beat somebody. GAME ON!!!!

• Kimo November 29, 2010 at 2:18 pm

How the hell did the SEC & ACC get that much teams into the tournament? And the Missouri Valley Conference? WTH? SERIOUS? 4 teams?