Hewitt, the morning after

February 27th, 2012

Thread getting too long. Some updates.

Spoke with Shoji, first thanking him for all the help in doing that cover shot for our preview magazine that won an award last week. he reminded me that I still owed him.

Anyway, I asked what the plan for was next year to replace Hewitt.

Said they had Hartong, and that Adolpho had proven herself

They are expecting Tuaniga to be able to contribute more and that Vorster has the potential to become another Hewitt. So it sounds like he’s good with what he has.

Asked about a transfer (s). He said there were a few OHs floating out there but not sure if they’d bring anyone in.

Be back later. have a few other things to do for work.

Comments
  • Steve February 27, 2012 at 11:58 am

With Hewitt gone, it is imperative that Fonoimoana gets her academics in order, so she can be on the Wahine Team, this coming fall. Without Fonoimoana, Shoji has Croson, Goodman, Long, and Olevao, on the outside, with Goodman being the tallest, at 6’1. That is unless Shoji decides to move Hartong to the outside, at 6’2. If Shoji decides to move Hartong outside, it would leave Adolpho, Vorster, and Tuaniga, to patrol the middle.

• Cindy Luis February 27, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Shoji said to me that Hartong at OH is always an option.

• warriorfan February 27, 2012 at 12:18 pm

If FF doesnt make it Hartong will have to be OH2. Ginger and Tai are too green.

• RYK February 27, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I didn’t read through all of the as thread so I don’t know if this was mentioned earlier. In DR’s column today he said that it’s still a possibility that FF will play for Hawaii next season if everything works out.

Cindy, I think you mean Shoji said he’s NOT sure if they will bring anyone else in, although FF is one of the “transfers out there” as he put it.

• Cindy Luis February 27, 2012 at 12:28 pm

thanks RYK, forgot the NOT.
      Fonoimoana is still a possibility. much depends on her getting enough credits by fall to be considered a sophomore.

• Cindy Luis February 27, 2012 at 12:31 pm

This is from the official release out of UH this morning. complete one at uhathletics.com.

“We will be hard-pressed to fill her spot,” added Shoji, “but this gives an opportunity for Kalei Adolpho, Kristiana Tuaniga, and Jade Vorster to gain more experience. In addition, all-American Emily Hartong returns in the middle, although we may move her to the outside next season.”
        “This has been a really tough decision to make, but after discussing it with my family, I have decided not to play my final season,” said Hewitt. “I love every part of this program and I am so thankful for the impact the players, trainers, coaches, and fans have made on my life and for all of the memories. This is just something I need to do for myself.”

• Steve February 27, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Cindy, if there is a silver lining, everyone that is on the 2012 roster will be back for 2013, except for Maeda. That would include Fonoimoana, if she becomes eligible. Throw in Taylor and Higgins, for 2013, and there is something to look forward to.

• Derek February 27, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Things are changing constantly. Shoji and Co. will move on and the program will continue to flourish. New stars will be made. With Wahine volleyball it’s reload, not rebuild.

• Cindy Luis February 27, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Agree. As I said on Pacheco’s radio show today, think the team will be fine and fans don’t have to worry.

Someone suggested that Hewitt have her senior night on Maui.
      I think it would be nice to do it at the arena after the Nittaidai match.

• roofer68 February 27, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Great idea Cindy, guess getting that idea to the right people would be a start.

Baylor has their 2012 schedule up, playing Labor weekend here.

• jkjones February 27, 2012 at 3:44 pm

best wishes to brittany. thank you for three great years.

• Safinator February 27, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Do it! Let’s do senior night for Brit there or on the warriors senior night for Steve hunt and company .

• Ron February 27, 2012 at 4:52 pm

The administration/ or Men’s Volleyball may not want to share their night but it could mean hundreds of extra tickets would be sold and everybody wins. I think that Cindy came up with the most practical and politically correct solution but I don’t believe the match with Nittaidal will be on TV.

• warriorfan February 27, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I dont think the seniors ( hunt, Castello and Lofy) would mind Britt being honored before their senior match. GREAT IDEA! I hope uh does this.

• HOSSANA February 27, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Such a class and personable individual that, like Kanani, will be sorely missed not only as a member of the UH Wahines but as a person as well. She deserves every recognition and should be recognized before the Nitaidai game in March or, maybe if she is still around, at the first UH Wahine game in August which will probably be close to a sellout…
    Whatever the case may be, let’s all enjoy the Precious Memories that she gave all of us as an athlete and person….Her beautiful persona and smile will be missed….She will forever be a Rainbow Wahine….cheers!

• bowsfan February 27, 2012 at 8:25 pm

As a BB/VB fan of former players like Kim, Tara and now Kalei. I think it great to get freebie VB players but its at the expense of BB. Players like Kalei play a whole VB season and miss out part of the BB season, no way can the BB team miss 3 – 4 players.

• warriorfan February 27, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Women’s basketball gets 15, yes FIFTEEN scholarships.
      They can afford to miss 3-4 players. Most teams only go 8-9 deep.

• liveALOHA February 28, 2012 at 12:43 am

Are you sure it’s not 13?? Or is that men’s?

• Cindy Luis February 28, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Men have 13 scholarship, women 15.
          WF, totally disagree, maybe one player missing part of the non conference works out but certainly not 3 or 4. they lose nearly three months of being with the team, practices and games. Especially if they are 3-4 scholarship players who would be considered starters.
          Besides, if they are on basketball scholarship, that is the sport that should be their first priority. VB has been fortunate that BK has been so accommodating.
          BUT Adolpho playing both as a freshman is not the same thing that happened with Collins, or Willoughby who played BKB as seniors and were done with VB eligibility.
          Hittle was a junior on volleyball scholarship who switched over to basketball scholarship the second semester. she played her final year in volleyball on a bkb scholarship then played another year in basketball.

• bowsfan February 28, 2012 at 5:32 am

If VB and BB switched seasons, would we say it was OK for 3-4 players to miss part of the season of VB, but its OK for BB.

• Warrior15 February 28, 2012 at 9:46 am

If it’s a choice the player is comfortable with, and the coaches involved are ok with the arrangement, then i don’t think it’s that big a deal.

• Vee February 28, 2012 at 12:11 am

like the suggestion for the Brittany recognition to be at the Stan Sheriff where she’s played for three seasons and been around for four, so we Honolulu fans will get to honor and thank her. This March or August, whichever works.

• Wawa February 28, 2012 at 12:43 am

I think 2012 will be kind of like the year after Kim Willoughby them graduated, creating the season of the Cardiac Keiki. We will have a fairly young squad of mostly Juniors & Sophomores, but I feel they are gonna play with the “GO GET ‘EM!” attitude that is always fun to watch. We may not go 30something and 0 and get shipped to Wisconsin…but should be another great season of Wahine volleyball.

Yes, we may have lost a lot, but we do have a lot to look forward to. So…moving on.

• jeff February 28, 2012 at 1:12 am

do you think brittany would come to the nittaidai spring match? Would she entertain putting the jersey on no playing a last time? We sure would like to say thank you to her in our hawaii way.seems like Hartong will have to lead this club she is the most decorated one left

• HOSSANA February 28, 2012 at 8:38 am

UH Women’s basketball team doesn’t suffer from losing out on a VB player playing VB part of the pre-season basketball season. Look at the amt. of scholarships they have. The problem the past couple years and I say this, with sincerity, has been the coaching. Trust me. The current women’s basketball coach is really out of her league in recruiting and coaching Div. 1 and I’m not the only one to perceive this deficiency affecting the women’s program.

• warriorfan February 28, 2012 at 11:09 am

Agreed for the sake of that program I hope they hire a new coach that knows how to develop the players.

• grandpa February 28, 2012 at 9:05 am

Forum:
    Thank you for answering my dumb questions. I love the game but dont understand all of the background. It looks like from the response on scholarship that all of the scholarships go to positions other than the Libero or DS, can you help me understand that? Also, Steve made a comment about 2013 with a Taylor and a Higgins. I think there is a Taylor Higgins or was there someone last name Taylor committed also?
    Great scoops and appreciated.

• roofer68 February 28, 2012 at 10:07 am

It’s Tayler Higgins of Punahou and Nikki Taylor of Kaiser High.

• grandpa February 28, 2012 at 10:36 am

So, lets see if I got this right.
    2012 Team:
    DS/L: Maeda (Sch), Kam, Lelepali, Blake, Kawamura
    M: Tuaniga (Sch), Adolpho (Sch), Vorster (Sch)
    S: Stauber (Sch), Uiato (Sch)

2013 Team: (I think I have 1 too many sch..
    DS/L: Kam, Lelepali, Blake, Kawamura, Kanetake
    M: Tuaniga (Sch), Adolpho (Sch), Vorster (Sch)
    OH: Hartong (Sch), Goodman (Sch), Croson (Sch), Long (Sch), Olevao (Sch), Fonoimoana (Sch), Taylor (Sch)
    S: Stauber (Sch), Uiato (Sch), Higgins (Sch)

Very interesting to see how far out the team is already determined..thanks again..see you can teach old dog new tricks..

• Steve February 28, 2012 at 10:47 am

grandpa, one correction for 2012, Emily Maeda is not on scholarship, she is a walk-on.

• Steve February 28, 2012 at 10:48 am

grandpa, also, Adolpho is on a basketball scholarship, not volleyball.

• vballfreak808 February 28, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I am not sure which Kanatake you are talking about. If it is the one that agreed to walk-on, Kolby Kanatake is a guy….

• Wawa March 1, 2012 at 1:13 am

lmfao, @ Kanetake playing for the Wahine. +1

• grandpa February 28, 2012 at 11:09 am

thanks Steve….

• wen February 28, 2012 at 12:08 pm

What’s Hewitt’s major going to be when she graduates?

• Kazu February 28, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Thought i read she was studying psychology. Not sure though.

• Cindy Luis February 28, 2012 at 2:56 pm

When Hewitt graduates I believe she will have a degree in psychology.

• uhfan February 28, 2012 at 3:34 pm