Brennan to the Redskins, four other Warriors get free-agent deals

April 27th, 2008

He’s got a great coach: Jim Zorn. Zorn can turn him from a gunslinger into a polished NFL quarterback.

Just talked to Brennan; he leaves Thursday for Washington for the first mini-camp. He’s obviously excited. Said he doesn’t plan anything wild for celebrating, just relaxing with family for a couple of days. Said he’s ready to work, although he’s still recovering from the hip surgery.

He got to talk briefly with Zorn today.

Davone Bess said he’s going to the Dolphins. He said he’s been told the slot and punt return jobs are open.

Ryan Grice-Mullins is headed to the Houston Texans as a free agent. He said he’s disappointed about the draft, but “I’m definitely not sulking.”

Agent Leo Goeas said Hercules Satele (Cardinals) and Jason Rivers (Titans) have deals, and he is trying to get a tryout for Mike Lafaele.

Comments
  • wayne April 27, 2008 at 10:09 am

Aloha Dave! just fyi…just few minutes ago…Colt got his dream job courtesy of the Washington Redskins!!! I know he will make WR and our islands proud! Now…hopefully we will see the rest of the local boys and UH warriors get selected. Mahalo!

• wes April 27, 2008 at 10:17 am

Interesting Colt’s gets picked by Redskins in the 6th and finally Kiper seems to be on his side but got bashed by RJ???Way to
    go Colt! I think he’s in a good situation with time to develop:-).

• guardian April 27, 2008 at 10:49 am

Kiper’s “left-handed” compliments came too little and way too late- – I hold KIPER directly responsible (for being precluded from the early rounds) because of all the irresponsible and inaccurate statements he made early on. And I don’t think it’s a secret that he made statements about Colt & others without benefit of even watching him.; Jaworski on the other hand surprises me because I used to respect his opinion until NOW. If he truly watched Colt on film he wouldn’t have made those assinine and ignorant comments. As much as I liked “Jaws” as an analyst in games, the “Polish Rifle” (as he was called)was a mediocre QB at best. In his best year, he couldn’t match Colt’s worst, even with his “traditional” delivery/motion. It just totally chaps my behind that he had so many complimentary things to say about mediocre QBs taken way ahead of Colt but who had infinitely lesser ability & (actual) achievements. I guess it’s all moot. Colt, with his great attitude, will attack this challenge as he has done in the past and will succeed; I’m sure of it. He also gets to work with one of my all-time favorite QBs-Jim Zorn.

• Michael in Kona April 28, 2008 at 3:35 pm

RJ is a respected QB critic. Whether Hawaii fans love Colt or not, RJ’s comments do merit our attention. This is basically what he said during the draft telecast:

Colt’s accomplishments in WAC do not translate well into the pro ranks because: 1) types of throws Colt made in college would be irrelevant in the pro game, and 2) Colt’s throwing mechanics are not good.

RJ raved about Louisville’s QB because Brohn’s throws in college would be relevant to pro games, and RJ used some clips. Those are typical X’s and O’s that most casual observers wouldn’t understand. I do think that RJ does have points. Colt’s great stats at Hawaii are products of Run’N Shoot, and they are irrelevant. Cris Carter swears that Colt will be another Wares, Klingers, and Changs.

As a Hawaii fan, I want Colt to prove RJ and Cris wrong. I want to see Colt can flourish in the Redskins’ system. I want to believe what JJ said about Colt: Colt can run any system.

Go Colt.

• MooN April 27, 2008 at 10:25 am

I think the Skins only have two quarterbacks on their roster, Jason Campbell and Todd Collins.

So at least he’ll get to dress for the games.

• Robby April 27, 2008 at 11:13 am

Put away your idiotic crystal ball and wait and see. Unlike you, I don’t have the power to see into the future, but I suspect there will be great success in the NFL Hawaii’s Colt Brennan. Wassamatta, you jus no like our adopted local boy?

• Robby April 27, 2008 at 11:17 am

I don’t share your power of seeing into the future, but I am quite sure that Colt Brennan will have great success in the NFL. Wassamata you, you don’ like our favorite adopted local boy?

• Ewakai April 27, 2008 at 12:31 pm

They actually have 3 QB’s:

(3)Hollenbach, Sam 6-4 214 1 year
      (17)Campbell, Jason 6-5 233 3 years
      (15)Collins, Todd 6-4 228 13 years

My guess is that Colt will go to the Second Team for the first year to polish and improve his abilities. By that time, Collins, who is a Free-Agent, retires and Colt will be in contention for #2 QB, unless Campbell gets hurt again then with a possibility of being #1. Hollenbach is a 3rd string Free-Agent, so he might be cut loose.

• SJSpartanPower>Hawaii April 27, 2008 at 11:09 am

I’m really serprised that Colt got picked up at all. 95% of all pundits and draft experts seem to have him selected as not being drafted at all so hawaii fans should consider it as an upset of sorts that he will get a $50k signing bonus in the 6th rounds right? Anyway, glad to see Dwight Lowrey (picked off Colt for 6 and returned a punt for TD last time we played) representing hard style with a strong 4th round selection.

• Ladeda April 27, 2008 at 1:02 pm

Who is Dwight Lowrey never heard of him ?

• fatokole April 27, 2008 at 1:03 pm

Hahahaha your user name is hilarious….try winning one first. Also, it is good to see Lowery get drafted, but you dont need to remind us what he did in the game….you guys still lost.

• warriorfana April 28, 2008 at 6:11 am

Yeah, Lowery is a pretty good player. Too bad the rest of the team sucks. And with the loss of Lowery, they will suck even worse this year. By the way, learn to spell ‘surprise’.

• RichfromOC April 28, 2008 at 11:23 am

Didn’t he co-star with Will Smith in Bad Boys?

• RedZone April 27, 2008 at 1:25 pm

This is the team I had picked for Colt early on in the year. I think he has a really good chance to make this team. I had thought during the draft that Frisco might have took him in the sixth but they didn’t so it is their loss.

• wes April 27, 2008 at 2:28 pm

Good call Redzone! Nice to hear Devone is off to Miami. Hope only the best for JR, RGM and the rest of our Warriors battling to make it as well.

• jhb3043 April 27, 2008 at 3:25 pm

LOL you know you’ve arrived when a SJSU Spartan fan trash talks on the Dave’s blog *sarcasm*

stand by for another L in ’08 Spartans!!!

oh yeah, and adam Trefalis got drafted where again??

thats what i thought

NEXT!!!!!!!!

• wes April 27, 2008 at 3:30 pm

More good news…it’s being reported that Rivers is off to the Titans and Satele to Cardinals on free agent contracts:-).

• kainoa April 27, 2008 at 9:05 pm

well its a lesson well learned for any other warriors that contemplate foregoing their senior season in pursuit of the big bucks. Grice Mullen and Bess were both told by draft services that they would be drafted anywhere from the 2nd to 4th rounds in the draft and no team called their names on draft day. Not that these guys dont have the talent to make it, but neither of the two were the big play, go to type of receivers that most NFL teams are looking for when they draft a receiver. Both guys are excellent receivers coming out of the slot, but they are not something that NFL teams typically try to find. I think that Grice Mullen and Bess were misinformed- but alot of the blame goes to themselves because this is something they should have known. Hopefully future warrior prospects will learn from their mistakes.

• Poidog1 April 28, 2008 at 9:18 am

I think that Mel Kiper is the “anal” in analyst. Come on, QB’s need to be able to throw deep passes but how many times do they throw a 75 yard bomb in a game? Colt’s passing game is one of the best in the country and can throw under pressure. I watched BC vs VTEC game and Ryan didn’t look that great as all the analysts were saying and I can’t believe that they compared him to Joe Montana. Zorn (Redskins) coach said “He’s (Colt) got a bit of sidearm release. We’ll try to bring that up a little bit.” Uh, I say if it an’t broke, don’t fix it or your going to screw up his accuracy.

Poidog

• wes April 28, 2008 at 3:37 pm

I agree…don’t know if this is a proper compare but I hope they don’t tinker with his delivery too much where it adversely affects him (esp accuracy) like it did Tatsuno.

• Scott April 28, 2008 at 4:57 pm

Wow, Tatsuno…showing your age yeah? (Kidding! I’m probably right there with you) Good analogy though…Tatsuno got totally messed up because of “tweaking”. BUT, although Colt doesn’t always throw sidearm or 3/4, he will have to adjust his delivery to account for the bigger lineman in front of him.

Colt is in a GREAT situation at Washington and here’s why:
        1. Zorn is a QB Coach…look at what JJ did for Colt in college, Zorn will (hopefully) get Colt up to speed in the NFL
        2. Washington has Campbell as a starter and Collins as a backup. Collins is a veteran who can mentor Colt and Campbell is just an injury/slump away from being sidelined. Colt can become the next Hasselbeck (again, hopefully) in a few years.
        3. Washington’s offense has Clinton Portis to help shoulder the load off the QB’s. Hopefully the WR’s can tandem with Santana Moss well enough for opposing defenses to not stack the box.
        4. NO PRESSURE – picked late in the draft, 2 established QBs ahead of him on the depth chart, no one is expecting him to do well

For the other Warriors heading to NFL camps…hindsight is always 20/20…but as long as you really have no regrets…hey, great job…go do your thing and REPRESENT!

• wes April 28, 2008 at 7:00 pm

you are probably right about showing my age with memories of Riggins, Monk, Green, Jurgensen, Mann, etc. And we are on the same page with your points above…including the no regrets for RGM and DB :-). And actually I’m a Cowboy/49ers fan that will now be cheering for Colt!!!!

• VA kotonk April 29, 2008 at 6:38 am

As a UH grad and Virginia resident and Redskins fan for 30 years, I welcome Colt to our Skins. With Zorn as the new coach, I was hoping that Colt would be picked up by the Skins. If Gibbs remained as coach, then Colt would have been better off almost anywhere else. I think Colt would be better suited to Zorn’s West Coast offense than either Campbell or Collins. Having a UH player on the team is almost as good as sweeping the Cowboys, Giants and Eagles.