GM and JJ at Na Koa fundraiser … McMackin to speak at youth coaches clinic

January 31st, 2008

The following from Kevin Kaplan of the June Jones Foundation:

Aloha!

Hope you are doing well. I wanted to let you know about an exciting event that will take place on Sunday, February 24, 6:00 p.m. at LuLu’s Surf Club Waikiki Beach. It is called An Evening with Greg McMackin and June Jones, and will exclusively benefit the Na Koa Football Club. Tickets are $125 per person and will include great food and beverages. There will also be entertainment and a live auction.

As capacity limits us to only 200 tickets, I encourage you to contact Lisa Kim at (808) 545-4195 or via email at lisaakim@hawaii.rr.com to reserve your tickets as soon as possible. Checks and credit card payments will be taken by LuLu’s Surf Club Waikiki Beach. The event will be a sellout!

On behalf of Coach McMackin and Coach Jones, I look forward to seeing your there. You won’t want to miss the fun!

Mahalo, Kevin

***

McMackin will be the keynote speaker at a USA Football Coaching clinic at McKinley High School, a week from Saturday, February 9, 2008 (Registration: 7:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.)

McMackin will speak at noon.

Comments
  • uhwarriors January 31, 2008 at 6:02 pm

June Jones still stumping for Na Koa? That’s nice, but I wonder how SMU will feel about it.

• hammer January 31, 2008 at 6:39 pm

i stay soooooo confused already…..i can see coach mac for na koa……what does june have to do with na koa anymore? trying to rub salt in old wounds? does june want na koa to be a new football booster for them mustangs? and then at lulus? why are all stuffs at lulus now? is there something about lulus that the general public don’t know about? call the coach this year? why the switch to lulus? hey, murph has been so loyal and supportive of na koa, shouldn’t any call the coach shows or fundraisers be at murphy’s instead? do things add up here? do we people in hawaii seem that stupid?

it’s so frustrating now especially with all those hawaii verbals going to smu for visitations and now why in the world does june want to come back for a na koa fundraiser? and he take lopaka ornalles too? in coming back for this fundraiser what is june trying to take now? does he want them 15,000 fans who went to georgia to follow him to smu?

june if you read this for some perverted reason, please stay in texas…..after seeing the way you’ve conducted business recently there ain’t no aloha spirit left in you……what are you telling warrior verbals now? “come and look at our first class facilities…..and don’t forget, we are the harvard of the southwest, plus we got a spanking brand new stadium”……”hey coach, you told me from hawaii that it’s all about this thing called oh-hannah and not about the facilities”……”son, let me tell you bout the real world…you gotta look out for number one, that’s what you call ohana”……”coach is it true that attendance for smu games is about 13,000? sounds like a high school game coach.”

if june’s at this fundraiser i’ll contribute to na koa in a different way……i promise i won’t write on the subject of coach jones again, it’s just sooooooo frustrating with the events that continually happen and all the stories that keep on coming to the front…..aloha coach jones…..enjoy your millions, but you don’t have to come back ok? you scare me….

• jojo January 31, 2008 at 6:42 pm

is this for na koa or smu, all you need is MAC,[ he is hawaii's coach]
    jj is smu’s coach , not ours. time for JJ to move on..

• MauiSlugbug January 31, 2008 at 7:12 pm

My jaw dropped when I first read the announcement. I agree with the previous posters. Coach Mack is our coach now and having June Jones at the Na Koa fundraiser would be awkward, to say the least. Although I’ve appreciated everything Coach Jones has done for the UH football program, it’s time to move on.

• Manoa Mist January 31, 2008 at 8:02 pm

Hammer’s post nails it.
    June: It’s over. Let’s call it a day. Sorry that it had to end this way.
    You abandoned me. Love don’t live here, anymore. Just a fantasy, love don’t live here…anymore.
    In Hawaii, subjecting someone to public ridicule is never forgiven. In essence, June left all of us at the wedding chapel for a prettier girl whose daddy is rich. Can’t blame the guy, but he did say he loved us.
    You abandoned me. Love don’t live here, anymore.

• 808 warrior January 31, 2008 at 8:20 pm

Yeah I kinda agree with the other posters. Seems strange that JJ is coming back for this. Is he doing this out of guilt? He’s done alot for the Warrior program and it was a great ride but it’s time to move on. I know he has a lot of close friends in Na Koa but our main man now is coach Mack. He’s the only one we need at the fund raiser. This whole thing just seems really strange…

• RedZone January 31, 2008 at 9:18 pm

If he is willing to give I don’t mind if he becomes a booster. Could be a first in college football.

• jabba January 31, 2008 at 9:44 pm

ah, can you picture this…

Mack: “um, june, how come you stole our recruits?”

June: “well, Greg, um, one snap and clear i always say.”

Mack: “okay. let’s get wise here. um, June how many books have you sold in the last two weeks?”

June: “well, you know, i cancelled the volume 2 out of respect for ya.”

Mack: “really? good thing, cuz when are you going to pick up the cases of those books in my office? or shall i donate them to the recycling center?”

June: “um, umm.”

Mack: “and by the way you were wrong. the north shore is a beautiful place.”

hahahahahahahahaha.

• Pearl Harbl January 31, 2008 at 9:46 pm

Someone needs to explain to June Jones what the phrase “conflict of interest” means. He may mean well but he is SMU’s head coach now and he should be putting 100% of his effort into supporting that program. Doing this fundraiser for Na Koa (which directly benefits UH football) sends out all the wrong signals. I suppose this is alright with SMU’s AD, boosters, and fans? I guess they are just renting a head coach for the next 5 years. Sorry but if Coach Mack was doing this and alluding that his heart was still in Texas, I and many others would be questioning his dedication to the job. The fact that he is moving the rest of him family out here is why the people here are behind him. I guess that is the difference of Ohana here in Hawaii versus what is in Dallas where the main concern of the boosters, the AD, and fans are winning at all costs.

I know he wants the people of Hawaii to feel like he is still a part of the program but he needs to move on and allow the new coaching staff to build a name for themselves. This is why my respect for Dick Tomey far outweighs the feeling I have for June Jones today. Tomey was a class act from the way he left to putting 100% of his dedication to the new teams he coached. JJ on the otherhand is way too concerned with how he’ll be perceived and the sort of legacy his name will eventually carry. The more he keeps sticking his nose into UH’s business while he is employed by SMU, the less respect I will have for him in that regards. If he wants the people here to continue to have any sort of Aloha for him 5 years down the road when he retires, he should just shutup and keep a low profile while in Hawaii.

Fundraising for UH football ought to be handled by GM and the UH Athletic Department, not by the SMU head coach. Can someone with more pull please tell the people at Na Koa this as well. They should thank JJ for what he has done for UH football while he was here but he needs to break those ties and let the current staff build their own legacy.

• Kyle January 31, 2008 at 9:58 pm

This will hopefully solidify the changing of the guard and resolidfy the committment of the boosters to fully support the football program and its new leader.

Maybe JJ makes an endowment. Who knows.

• Kyle January 31, 2008 at 10:02 pm

Also, maybe this will coincide with an update to the Na Koa mission: **keeping JJ and his staff in Hawaii**

Also, is it true that GM salary will be 100% UH funded? Does that mean that Na Koa will be free to do more?

• Kaimuki boy January 31, 2008 at 10:05 pm

May be JJ is going to pay the $400,000 he owes to Na Koa? Yeah, I stay confused too. Its like the girlfriend who dumps you and then calls you up for a big favor like give her some money. On the positive side, I soooo glad to hear Mack is making the rounds. He is awesome. May be should ask UH to fix Cook field and the athletic department on McMackin time? I hope any one who questioned Mack’s pay is seeing what he is doing, bringing to the table, and cleaning up the program.

• Ted January 31, 2008 at 10:20 pm

Boosters should demand JJ stay in Texas or boycott the event entirely!!!

• Jimbo January 31, 2008 at 11:36 pm

Well, the only way to find out what the deal is…….pay your $125 and attend.

Makes me real curious!

• guardian February 1, 2008 at 12:00 am

I think Na Koa probably appreciates JJ continuing to lend his name toward fund-raising for the UH boys. As long as it’s FOR the TEAM, I don’t see any harm.
    Why don’t you guys get this worked- up when all the haters like Mikey, Alice, Brenda, JD, Mach5MotorSport and other idiots write all that crap about Hawaii (instead of all this enmity about
    JJ)??? What conflict of interest is there in play???
    I think many people are forgetting that JJ (regardless of JJ’s motivation for leaving and perhaps takng some of the recruits-it’s only Bo Levi Mitchell, right??) DID have and always WILL have a soft spot in his heart for Hawaii and will always maintain ties here. Bottom line is that he DID WELL during his tenure. It’s really sad that all the nit-picking begins and all that 20/20 hindsight about all the things he could’ve & should’ve done better emerges. Wasn’t the team about 80% local & polynesian kids? Didn’t the local kids (and even mainland kids)develop, thrive & “live up” to the theme of Ohana??? Did we or did we not see the Golden Age (at least up so far) these last couple of years??? Just chill about JJ!!!! Somehow I think that all this resentment is partially triggered by insecurit that JJ will somehow establish a pipeline of local talent going to SMU in the near future. That AIN’T gonna happen!! Coach Mack is taking care of business and will minimize that “pipeline” to a trickle; JJ is welcome to all the kids we don’t make offers to.
    Just sit back, “lick your chops” and savor what is to unfold in the next chapter with this special team! Just know that Coach Mack will lead us back to the “Promised Land”.

• hammer February 1, 2008 at 11:36 am

howzit guardian……you bring up a lot of good points that i agree with, however there are alot of things that have happened that really have stirred up the pot here, at least for me…..i really had wished that things were done so that we could just remember june for all the good that he did for us….in a perfect world coach would have just told us straight up, “hey guys, i love this state and it will always have a place in my heart, but, hey, $ 2 million dollars? my health ain’t so good, especially after that accident, i’m getting older and probably will coach about five more years. i’m tired of pushing and pushing, and like all of you, i get bills!!!! boy do i got some bills!!!! if you know what i mean…..uh um……so, i really hate to go but thanks for the memories, aloha, i gotta go”…….that’s the june jones legacy i would have really liked…..and in a soap opera manner with gov lingle, president mcclain and the people of hawaii begging, and after crying at least six times, he basically said, adios (which actually is more appropriate now since he’s close to the border instead of hawaii)….

you probably missed a few things in the past several days so i’ll try to get you up to speed a bit…..you mention one quarterback who committed to UH, bo mitchell, as being the only one……not true my friend…… 1. safety chris banjo had verballed to hawaii, now he’s a smu verbal……. 2. three star jc cornerback devon mcelroy i believe, a verbal from last spring, now a smu verbal….. 3. cb stephen christian, i think, a recent warrior verbal who contacted duff and coach mack at the nevada game i believe, will visit smu this weekend….. 4. very talented UH film guy lopaka ornalles mysteriously is out of a job at UH and is heading on to smu because “jj really wants lopaka” at smu….coincidence????….i know, that’s the recruiting business…..ts, it’s a tough business where all is fair in love and war, right?……and that’s just a few of the stuff we do know from the press and blogs and probably not all that is going on…..

and then there’s that thing about lulus…..why and how did lulus become “the hot spot” for warrior sports this year? is it a coincidence that the weekly “call the coach show” was moved there? that coach was sooooo more than happy to autograph “that book” that i feel so much like my guts is all tied up knots after reading the forward by that coach? did you read the forward by the way? great read…..read it, it’s soooooooo good that i get more confused and just soooo da kine….fiction or non-fiction????…..back to lulus, are the owners of lulus such huge contributors to na koa or is there something about the owners tied in directly to some people we know?

like they always say opinions are like belly buttons, we all got one…..i wished things were ideal, but they ain’t…..finally about why all the enmity towards june? like he always said and it’s true, warrior football is the only game in town…..in a small place like this there ain’t much happening…..warrior football means a lot because in the good, the bad and the ugly times it helps to keep our spirits up….it’s about believing in something when the whole world just don’t make a lot of sense…..for me after years of hearing negative stuff about coach, the more recent years were redemptive and gave something back to believe in…….it seemed like coach had turned the corner, had done his evil deeds like all of us, and had become someone who now stood for character, morals and ethics (yes even in football stuffs there ain’t nothing wrong with trying to do the right thing)…..but in a month and by seeing the actions, coach turned out to be just a normal human being after all, susceptible to all the human weaknesses we are all subject to……my bad for really setting him up to fail…..it’s hard man to walk the talk…..talking is easy, walking it? a totally different story…… so i understand your point guardian, but it’s disturbing that coach has become somewhat like the nick saban’s and petrino’s of the world……big money will do that to the best of us…..in closing guardian, remember these quotes and go back and do a time study (i maybe misquoting): “i am not interested, have no interest and am not talking to anyone at smu”….”facilities? compared to smu hawaii is like pop warner”…..”i have standing offers to each and everyone of my coaching staff to join me at smu”……”i am not interested in being the coach at alabama….i am the head coach of the miami dolphins”…..”yes i did but i didn’t inhale”…..”i did not have sex with that woman”…..ok, ok, i threw those last three in from other people…..it’s hard…..if i were coach i would have probably did what he did and would be doing what he is doing right now…..and i would have 2 million reasons for having peace of mind….lulus? pop warner? ohana? aloha?

• Bowzooka February 1, 2008 at 12:52 am

I appreaciate everything JJ did for the program but I agree it is awkward to have him be a headliner at the event. If he wants to show his support for Mac and the program, he can still attend but he doesn’t need to do it in such a public way. Just show up, unannounced, talk story. This makes it seem like big brother is coming by to make sure little brother is taking care of things. Mac needs to take over completely.

Most of us are finally getting over the shock of JJ leaving so we don’t need any conflicting messages by him headlining at a Na Koa event. Part of the problem was that JJ had become UH football and why so many of us were devastated when we learned he was going to SMU. He had become bigger than the program but as we are seeing the program is in good shape (facilities aside) and can get even better under Mac’s new leadership.

• Hawaiian in Nebraska February 1, 2008 at 4:55 am

Oaky……people do things for a reason, and my perception of JJ is that he is here to benefit him and SMU. I think JJ is here to steal our local talent….I may be wrong, but he has already stole some commitments to SMU.
    Read bewteen the lines!

• Tony Francis February 1, 2008 at 9:16 am

JJ JUST STAY AWAY ! We got Mack and don’t need you to come BACK !

• Wow Lau Lau February 1, 2008 at 3:44 pm

Boy we sure have some bitter scorned lovers out there. The reason you guys are so nuha about June coming back is because deep inside you’re still”In Love”,-you know, your first true love that breaks your heart and when you see them all those feelings come back back you can’t have them because they belong to someone else.

We were all heart broken over our first love-never thought he’d leave us. But don’t be a fairweather friend. I’ll always have the deepest respect for June and all he did for me, helping me to see araes of improvement in my own life and giving me one the most inspirational seasons of my life.

Yeah I miss him, But don’t be talking about my June Jones.

• 808 warrior February 1, 2008 at 5:09 pm

I hope JJ doesn’t steal coach Mack’s thunder at the event. This should be about coach Mack and the new look of our program. And coach Mack would be too nice to ask JJ not to come even if he didn’t want him here. I appreciate JJ for all he’s done but he’s a Mustang now.

• Hawaiian in Nebraska February 1, 2008 at 5:53 pm

June did alot for Hawaii and the kids here and we thank him, but that’s the past. Now we need to give Coach Mac his due and respect him.

If JJ loves Hawaii, the kids and our football program, he needs to give us time to get over his departure. Coming back for this Na Koa thing is too early and it just raises all kinds of different feelings good or bad.

The people of Hawaii needs to move on too. The faster we get on with improving the program, and taking care of business (without JJ) the better off we will be. Remember, we got off to a late start in recruiting and we need all the days left to get the best talented kids here. We do not need anymore distractions.

Good luck to the coaches that stayed because they really showed the Aloha. When times get tough, the tough get going and the Ohana takes care and makes sure the kids are taken cared of.

Remember……football is all good, but the real goal is to take care of these young men that come play for us. We are their mentors and guardians. They have entrusted a few years of their young lives so we can mold them into productive citizens. Let’s not lose sight of this.

Aloha

• Kaimuki boy February 1, 2008 at 7:01 pm

Ahhh! JJ gets me all twisted inside. I love what he did for our program, but he broke my heart when and how he left. Its too soon for me to see JJ. I want to wish him well, to thank him for everything he has done, and to pop him for the way he left. I hope the recuits he is taking is because UH is pulling the scholes and not because JJ is stealing the kids. I think I need therapy.

• Yoda February 1, 2008 at 8:27 pm

Ahh all you cynics, haters and conspiracy theorists out there…take it for what it is worth and appreciate his presence and his show of support…he doesn’t have to be at a UH fundraiser to steal recruits. He has already done that without the help of Na Koa right? It was great to have him around while it lasted and I know it will hurt deep in our hearts to see him there but show some support!

• Kimo Tabares February 2, 2008 at 9:00 am

have your enemies but keep them close