Ohio State ends UCSB’s magical run in NCAA final

May 7th, 2011

Buckeyes win their first NCAA title, scoring the final five points in Set 5
OSU wins 20-25, 25-20, 25-29, 25-22, 15-9. UCSB had closed to 10-9 bue never scored again. Shawn Sangrey with three kills in the final five points.
just the second MIVA team to win the title. Lewis has the other, but had to vacate it.

Comments
  • Don May 7, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Any chance that the investigation of tOSU’s football program spills over (in the form of ‘lack of institutional control’) to Men’s Volleyball and this title is called into question?

Just saying…tOSU has taken liberties with its athletics program in general…

• Cindy Luis May 7, 2011 at 7:08 pm

it crossed my mind, too, Don. With 4.2 scholarships I kind of doubt it. But you never know

• bowsfan May 8, 2011 at 5:15 am

When UH starts sand volleyball, how many scholarships. Since mens volleyball have 4.2, will that mean another mens sport will lose the equivalent of sand volleyball scholarships to add that sport or will sand volleyball piggyback off regular volleyball. I can’t see how a mens sport can lose anymore scholarships unless its football.

• Cindy Luis May 8, 2011 at 3:15 pm

believe sand vb will have six scholarships if fully funded.
      it shouldn’t affect men’s sports. because of football, the numbers still favor the Warriors. and adding a womenb’s sport will help Hawaii in the eyes of the NCAA gender equity peeps

• Wayne May 8, 2011 at 8:53 am

Hi Cindy,
    Mahalo for your Volleyshots blog. If it wasn’t for your blog, I wouldn’t have known the outcome of the NCAA Men’s Volleyball Championship. I recorded it on DVR and it cut off due to the 5 game length. It was not mentioned on the 6 PM KHON news last night and not in the sports section of Star Advertiser either. (not even this morning) I am a volleyball fan and player. FYI: My senior year 1981 at UH Manoa I had the privilege of taking volleyball as a PE class from Dave Shoji and that was the last semester he taught VB for PE before becoming FT coach. Again a big MAHALO! I appreciate you!

• Cindy Luis May 8, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Wayne, we had a large story on Page 2 of today’s sports section.

• Don May 8, 2011 at 9:33 am

I watched the replay on ESPN3.com. Very easy to do if you are an Oceanic customer…

Works great on my computer connected to an HDTV…

• Warrior15 May 9, 2011 at 10:44 am

Such a weird end to the season …

• warriorfan May 9, 2011 at 11:32 am

USCB blew their best chance for a national championship ( probably ever)

• Cindy Luis May 9, 2011 at 11:55 am

WF, wouldn’t say they blew it. it went 5. pretty even match until they got in a bad rotation at the end of Set 5.
    Every season is a new one.

but did you mean USC?? you typed in USCB.

If you meant the Trojans, agree that SC will be rebuilding next year and will have to work in a new setter with the loss of McKibbin.