Pro Timing Day Roster … This and that at running back

March 28th, 2008

These are the players who will be at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif., on Tuesday, April 1, for UH’s Pro Timing Day. They’ll be worked out by NFL scouts. Rich Miano is coordinating for UH, and Greg McMackin plans to attend.

Davone Bess, Colt Brennan, Frank Fernandez, Ryan Grice-Mullins, C.J. Hawthorne, Brad Kalilimoku, Ryan Keomaka, Mike Lafaele, Jason Laumoli, Gerard Lewis, Myron Newberry, Karl Noa, Timo Paepule, Jacob Patek, Amani Purcell, Jason Rivers, Nate Russell, Hercules Satele, Larry Sauafea and Siave Seti.

***

Couple of interesting tidbits from Ron Lee today:

Mario Cox is bracketed with Dave Farmer, behind Daniel Libre/Leon Wright-Jackson at running back.

Lee said Cox could get some meaningful playing time in the fall.

Libre and Wright-Jackson will both spend some time at slot this spring, but not that much, and mostly in individual drills learning routes and techniques. Lee pointed out that Libre knows much of it already, since he was a slot before moving to RB last season.

Korey Reynolds is still a running back, at least for now.

Comments
  • Naomi March 28, 2008 at 4:46 am

I think Jason Rivers,Colt Brennen,and many of these other guys should make the draft and they gave us a great season last year. I feel they played with heart and are underestimated. I think they will do well in the pros and the NFL scouts will make a mistake if they are not chosen. I have always been a warriors fan. I moved to Texas because of the cost of living. But I always try to keep up on line or always watch them when there on TV. GO Warriors.

Naomi

• jediwarrior March 28, 2008 at 5:07 am

Good luck to all da Warriors.

Hope we set a record for the number of Warriors drafted. Could happen.

• Shelimzabivla Shostakovich March 28, 2008 at 6:13 am

Dave, whats your take on UH’s Pro Day typically allowing local boys who played football on the mainland to participate in this event?

In years past I remember local guys who played at BYU & Utah participating alongside the UH guys. Personally I feel that UH should keep the event to UH players only. After all, UH is the one organizing the event and typically gets a good scout turnout because of the events location (Home Dept Center) as well as the NFL connections of Miano and formerly through JJ.

• Dave Reardon March 28, 2008 at 10:53 pm

I’m fine with it. Unlike many UH fans, I’m all for aloha for island folks, regardless of where they go to college.

• wes March 28, 2008 at 7:35 am

Wish all of Warriors well! Listened to Ryan Grice-Mullins on radio yesterday and heard that he probably won’t participate in the bench press (17 reps I think) and maybe the shuttle (placed 4th at the combine) unless he feels at the last moment he could improve on his time. He hedged on his projected 40, but said he is working hard get better out of the block and close stronger.

• guardian March 28, 2008 at 8:04 am

I’m not familiar with Frank Fernandez & Nate Russell; they weren’t on the UH team were they??

I take it that they have hawaiian ties but played for other teams–am I correct??

• NelsonO March 28, 2008 at 12:57 pm

I think Fernandez, formerly from Saint Louis High School, attended college at Harvard.

Russell was on the Warriors team last year. Russell was a defensive lineman, but probably is more suited as a tight end.

• hammer March 28, 2008 at 7:18 pm

hey nelson……enjoyed your posts on the internet about practices & stuffs in the past……greatly appreciated……will you be going out to practices & giving us the scoops again? it would be great!!!

• Dave Reardon March 28, 2008 at 10:54 pm

Nate was on the UH team. Frank Fernandez played at Saint Louis and Harvard.

• wes March 28, 2008 at 8:36 am

Hi Dave,

Did you hear on Bobby Curan-AM 1420 that Mel Kiper has improved his assessment of Colt, now predicting him as a 2nd rounder? Did I hear Bobby correctly? If that is true and he is now ahead of Chad Henne, things are looking better for Colt!

• ralvic March 28, 2008 at 8:59 am

I’m pulling for all the Warriors,but the players I’m keeping my eyes on and wish I could buy stock in their football futures are Satele,Hawthorne,and Paepule.
    Satele I like,I think he’ll go first of all the Warriors.Against Georgia I thought he did well.He neutralized the player across him.Strong and quick.
    Hawthorne on any other team would have been the star.Overshadowed on the Warriors I hope he puts up some good times and numbers.There were so many game I watched I see him outrunning(easily) the DB and they did’t throw his way.
    Paepule is a personal favorite and I’m relying on a gut feeling that some scout will see,like how Hawthorne got overshadowed,that Paepule really has good football ability.Here one player that I hope puts up great numbers and gets a chance.

• Fudge Fajardo March 28, 2008 at 12:59 pm

Rich Miano introduced Leo Goeas and I to coach Mac. Leo asked coach Mac about Timo and Mac said that he is a great player and regrets not playing him more. He said Timo would do great for some team, also asked if Leo was his agent. Leo said no. Leo sign him after meeting with him at the gym. Now Timo has an agent.

• wes March 28, 2008 at 5:45 pm

Was great to hear CJ on Artie’s talk show this am. He said he weighed in the low 170′s today and feels as strong as ever. You have pull for a guy like…fast, humble and unselfish through action… living out the meaning of no “I” in team:-).

• Dave Reardon March 28, 2008 at 10:56 pm

I think C.J. could be a terrific special teams player in the NFL. … Blocking kicks, covering them as a gunner, perhaps even returning them.

• Duster March 28, 2008 at 10:53 am

Are CFL and AFL scouts invited too? With the limited number of roster spots and highly competitive nature of landing a job in the NFL, I was just wondering if the odds of playing for pay could be increased a little by having more prospective employers in attendance for our guys.

• NelsonO March 28, 2008 at 11:30 am

Dave,
    This is a little off-topic, but I appreciate your comments on Bobby Curran’s radio show yesterday re: Ryan Grice-Mullins. I never knew Ryan had a speech problem. But it is good to know that Ryan has worked hard to overcome his difficulty.

• Fudge Fajardo March 28, 2008 at 12:50 pm

Hi Dave,
    Great news, Leo signed Timo last week Thursday. I was very happy for Timo. We are all pulling for the boys. Mike Lafaele, Herc Satele, Amani Purcell, Timo Paepule, and Jason Rivers, and the rest of the Warriors.

• wes March 28, 2008 at 5:34 pm

Hey Fudge,
      Nice to see your posts…good to know the scoops! Glad also to hear all is good with you and that you’re still very active helping players…yes there is life after VZ:-). Keep the FYIs coming our way. Wes

• warrior fan in texas March 28, 2008 at 8:23 pm

Kealoha Pilares is not mentioned in the news about running backs. Is he still in the mix?

• Dave Reardon March 28, 2008 at 11:54 pm

Pilares will be spending a lot of time at slotback this spring.

• Warrior fan in texas March 29, 2008 at 9:01 am

Thanks Dave. I am fan of Kealoha and wish him and the Warrior football team continued success.
        Mahalo

• kawika March 29, 2008 at 1:12 pm

Maybe he will be the next CJ Hawthorn, going for the long pass and break away speed.

• bryen March 28, 2008 at 9:38 pm

We rely too much on Run and Shoot offense, its very effective and its proven but when we face the school with a good defense like Georgia sadly the Warriors freeze up when the opponents defense contains Hawaii’s Run and Shoot offense. Hawaii should improve their rushing offense and should use it more or they should balance the passing and rushing offense. With that our opponents defense will keep guessing. After all we have a good RBs and we should use them more often. Hawaii’s defense too needs a lot of improvements, especially against the rushing attack. They need to improve on containing or sacking the QB. Oh yeah, last season during the Sugar Bowl, Colt Brennan could’ve done better but the O-Line just let the Georgia’s defense get to him. So they need a lot of work on that too.

• Kevin March 28, 2008 at 9:49 pm

Really excited for Brennan and the boys and hope they kill it at the pro day. Colt lit it up at the combine but didn’t draw nearly as much attention as he should have. For crying out loud, he got a perfect score for accuracy and all anyone wants to talk about coming out of the combine is Joe Flacco. Joe Flacco? Are you kidding me? The pro day will be Colt’s, and only Colt’s, day to shine as a QB. Unless Joe Flacco’s pro day is the same day (its not, he had his already). Anyway, burn um Colt. Also pulling for Patek to show the scouts just how talented I truly believe he is.

• Kevin March 28, 2008 at 9:54 pm

Also super excited about the running back situation this season. If you think about it, the running game should be a real weapon for us this year because no team will have much film on our new offense (at the beginning of the year anyway). My wish for the Florida game (no disrespect Tyler Graunke) is that the huge QB that we recruited from the JC college (not Rausch, the other guy) get the start. We could pull a Tebow on Florida and they wouldn’t even expect it. Then pound em with Heun and Cox on the inside and Libre and Wright-Jackson in the open field.

• guardian March 29, 2008 at 12:13 am

I’ve got nothing but Aloha for QBs Alexander & Rausch, but now that Tyler Graunke is back in the fold, I just can’t see either of them beating him out (or even Funaki). Although they may have gotten portions of the playbook to look over during the summer, there’s no way they can get a complete enough grasp of it during Fall Prectice to realisticlly win the starting position. It actually took Colt over a year to grasp all the nuances even though he was terrific early on. If they can honestly win it in Fall Practice over Tyler, then we can talk about BCS , baby and it won’t just be hyperbole!

• wes March 29, 2008 at 2:39 pm

Yes when I asked that of coach Rolo he said grasping the offense depends on the person but on average it probably takes about a year. That’s when things start to slow down and appear to be in slow motion. Plus coach Lee said that even though Tyler has the most experience it also depends on the receivers and others around him that require coming together. With so many new faces that could level the playing field a bit. Regardless I look for a very physical season and welcome depth at QB too. These transfers may not start but they’ll probably be needed at some point…which is a good thing!

• jediwarrior March 29, 2008 at 12:54 am

Glad to see Libre back at RB. Good move by Coach Lee.

• KL March 29, 2008 at 9:08 am

Hey Dave,

You are getting some traction on your blog. Keep feeding us with more MEANINGFUL news and insights and you will continue to build a following.

• Dave Reardon March 29, 2008 at 11:15 am

We have our good weeks and not so good weeks, but this was a good one and we’re picking up some steam heading into spring practice.

We really appreciate all the support, and we’re glad we can provide more in depth info for people all over the country and world who are really into UH football. I try to answer every question, but don’t always have time to get to all of them, so it’s really cool when you folks chime in with your knowledge.

I look forward to seeing many of you at spring practice. It should be an exciting time. I’m looking forward to this spring session even more than last year’s because there are so many questions to answer.

• Manoa Fan March 29, 2008 at 1:37 pm

The run and shoot as run by June Jones was the best offense in college football in the last few years, based on almost every satistic there is. But without Colt, the four receivers, and a new coordinator, we will go back to the old run and shoot more like what June brought in 1999, and more like Mouse and Ron Lee run– more run and shoot routes, more run and shoot running plays, including QB under center. We can try other offenses and they might work against lesser teams, like in the WAC, but against top quality competiton, the run and shoot gives us the best chance to win.

• Jack Choffman March 31, 2008 at 10:10 pm

Will Kolo Kapanui (TE) be running with UH at Carson? What time is that pro day scheduled for?

• Freeman Mroczkowski December 18, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Thanks for sharing your ideas. I’d personally also like to mention that video games have been ever before evolving. Modern technology and innovative developments have served create practical and enjoyable games. Most of these entertainment games were not as sensible when the real concept was first of all being tried out. Just like other designs of technological know-how, video games as well have had to develop via many decades. This itself is testimony towards fast growth and development of games opserfd.