Reminder about improper contact with S-As

June 26th, 2012

S-A is not the Star-Advertiser but Student-Athlete

In regards to Student-Athletes and contacting them before they have signed an NLI or transfer agreement. I don’t see that following them on Twitter is a violation but emailing them may be. Just be careful if you are doing so, such as some who have said they have in the case of some of the transfers.

If you are at all connected to the UH athletic program  you are considered as the NCAA says ‘representatives of athletic interests.’  Examples

• Participate in or have been members of Koa Anuenue or any other booster group that supports athletics;
  • Have made financial contributions to the University of Hawaii Athletics Department;
  • Have assisted in the recruitment of student-athletes;
  • Provide or have helped arrange benefits for enrolled student-athletes or their families;
  • Participated as a student-athlete of the University of Hawaii; or
  • Have been involved in promoting University of Hawaii Athletics in any other way.)

If you are one of the above and are found to have had improper contact, you could be forced to disassociate with the institution, in this case UH.

Thanks to Stanley Ching, booster club prez, for the reminder.

Comments
  • Vinny June 26, 2012 at 5:52 pm

LOL I’ll e-mail whoever I want.

• Lord Rupert Everton June 26, 2012 at 6:50 pm

If I may add, aside from the individual sending emails being forced to disassociate with the institution, the target student-athlete/prospect could also have his or her NCAA eligibilty compromised depending on how the student-athlete/prospect goes about reporting such conduct to proper NCAA/insitution authorities or administration.

• Lord Rupert Everton June 26, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Stanley Ching is a long time supporter and a dilligent indiviudal that is always mindful of NCAA regulations.

I am sure he has his booster members in check.

Unfortunately there are some unbalanced indiviudals out there…

• Vinny June 26, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Like you ?

• Steve June 26, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Just as a reminder, if you are a season ticket holder, and have a seat in the lower bowl area, you are contributing to Koa Anuenue, cause part of the season ticket money goes to that organization.

• Vinny June 26, 2012 at 7:09 pm

The biggest offenders are in the boosters club.

• Vinny June 26, 2012 at 7:27 pm

While you guys are discussing e-mails from the President of the Wahine chapter of AARP there is new Wahine news just in.

• Jesse June 26, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I just took my meds and mom says that I have to turn of my computer.

• leftout June 26, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Does this mean that I am required to dismantle the Dave Shoji Shrine/Altar in my living room?

• leftout June 26, 2012 at 8:15 pm

On a lighter note Eyal Zimet Warrior OH, UH ’04 is an assistant coach at USF. They will be here to compete in the 2012 Hawaiian Airlines Classic.

• bowsfan June 27, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Just wondering how Tara’s doing with the fires at Colorado Springs.