UCLA-Hawaii rewind

February 18th, 2012

Well that was ugly, and quicker than Friday. 91 minutes.

Casebeer with a dozen kills, that’s half a case, right? 12-1-15, UCLA hit 366 to UH’s 090. Bruins 17-2 edge in blocks, no blocks for the Warriors after Set 1.

Hunt 5-6-19, West 3-3-6, Averill 4-4-13 in 2 sets, Lofy 5-0-7, Marks 5-2-13, Timmer 4-1-8 in 1 set, hinkle 1-2-5. Hawaii 3 aces, 11 SEs. all aces in Set 1.

Hawaii 15 digs, 5 by Biscaro. UCLA with 21, 6 by Mottram.

Nittaidai up next Friday and Sunday. probably a good break for the team to work on things against a non conference opponent.

The bottom line is UH isn’t very good and UCLA is.

My prediction? depending if Sander gets healthy for BYU, UCLA and Stanford for the MPSF title and maybe the NCAA championship. But if Sander gets healthy, can’t count out the Cougars.

Have a good night and enjoy the holiday.

Comments
  • warriorfan February 18, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I am disappointed. This team is NOT improving at all.They played UCLA closer at the start of the season. I think Changes need to be made……

It was soo bad I wish I went to the baseball game instead, this team doesn’t seem to care so I wont either.

• rayson February 19, 2012 at 12:15 am

I’m sure that’s just your frustration talking and that you don’t mean to be as insulting as your comment comes across as. Believe me, I share your frustration but you cannot seriously think that the players don’t care. I don’t see a team that doesn’t care or has given up. I see a team that is floundering about and doesn’t know what to do right the ship.

• jogga February 18, 2012 at 10:01 pm

It is EXTREMELY painful to watch.

• Alan February 19, 2012 at 1:03 am

Wow, Warriorfan you’re harsh. UH has 15 freshman and sophomores on their roster, UCLA has 1 freshman and 7 seniors. They are the number 1 ranked team in the country and for good reason. Several of the Warriors are playing Div. 1 volleyball for the first time this year. That UCLA beat us should not be a shock. A team with a bunch of 18 year olds playing a team dominated by 21-22 year olds. Tonight wasn’t one their finer moments this season I’ll admit ,but come on, give me a break, it wasn’t for lack of caring. Maybe you should go watch baseball, a loyal fan supports their team during the rebuilding phases even if they struggle. They actually played pretty well Friday night (out hit and out blocked UCLA in the first two sets) except for their serving which was pretty awful (that was a little better tonight).

• i don't know February 19, 2012 at 11:13 am

“It wasn’t for lack of caring.” I don’t know about this. I mean, during the interview after the match on Friday, even Steven Hunt said that the team has to come out “with a purpose” and to show that they know playing in Hawaii is a privilege. He repeated “with a purpose” one or two more times, so even he seemed frustrated with that part of the game.

• Alan February 19, 2012 at 9:31 am

Just one more thought. For those who are discouraged and frustrated with our relatively young and inexperienced team, it might be helpful to remember that the UCLA team we saw the past two nights were 9-13 in MPSF conference play last year. They are older and more experienced. The point: don’t give up on our Warriors, as fans we can help our young players develop by showing them that we support them and appreciate their hard work. People have a tendency to work hard to please those who believe in them. Comments I’ve heard or read by those really knowledgable in VB ( as well as my own observations) say we have some talented new players this year, but may be a year or so away from being a really great team. So have some fun and enjoy the journey.

• warriorfan February 19, 2012 at 10:07 am

Sorry I am not buying the inexperience excuse, Pepperdine and UCSD are much younger teams and they both beat UH.

IMO UH should be more competitive at home and the past three matches they have played flat and like they expect to lose. Coaching has been questionable as well.

Talent needs to be upgraded because UH has a few starting players that would not start on any other MPSF team…

• warriorfan February 19, 2012 at 10:09 am

Basically I just want to see improvement through out the season. if they were competing and losing in 4/5 sets , I would not be so critical.
    But they have not shown much improvment at all.

• Alan February 19, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I guess from your point of view experience or the lack it of are never factors, you are certainly entitled to that opinion. I’m not sure how young San Diego is, hard to believe they are younger than UH. True they upset us in the second match of the season but we dominated in night one. Oh yeah, SD is 1-8 so far in conference. as to your comment about winning and losing in 4 or 5, I guess you don’t count the 4 and 5 set matches against Pepperdine, Pacific, both on the road, and of course the first night against then number 2 ranked Irvine in 4 which could have easily gone 5. That was a good match by both teams, when Irvine played at or above their season averages for virtually every category. Most observers of the program agree they have upgraded their talent, but it just takes a little time. It is much more difficult to do quickly with men’s VB where they only have 4 1/2 scholarships to give compared with 12 for the women’s program. They have a verbal commitment for next year from Steven Marr one of top Canadian prep players. In a recent tournament in LA his club team demolished the so cal teams and he was named the tourney MVP. Lots to look forward. As Einstein said ” when you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change”. Go Warriors, you have a brutal road trip coming next.

• vballfreak808 February 20, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Hawaii is still ranked #13 and Stanford is the new #1. USC is Hawaii’s next MPSF opponent and they are still ranked #6

• jeff February 20, 2012 at 7:42 pm

has mike sealy signed a new extension at UCLA would he coach the men’s team next year?would he be interested in coaching the wahine someday? this is very young team chill out

• Cindy Luis February 20, 2012 at 8:18 pm

interesting questions Jeff.
    No, I don’t believe Sealy is interested in the men’s job. He is very happy with the women. And yes, he would be interested in coaching the Wahine.
    As for Scates’ replacement, some names that have come up in discussion … Speraw at UCI. he said last week that this will be an interesting year for him. UCI knows that he is interested in UCLA as well as the USA men’s job. He has a house at UCI, something that wouldn’t happen at UCLA.
    you may have noticed Singin Smith on the bench last week. he’s a new volunteer, could be positioning himself as a candidate. There is Rofer, scate’s longtime assistant.
    Scates said that it is the AD’s decision but that he would be consulted on the finalist/finanalists. I think they’ll stay within the ‘Bruin Family’ and it will be a former UCLA player.

• leftout February 20, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Think it’s Speraw’s should he want it. Long history with Ucla, proven coach with two national titles.