UH-GCU rewind Night 2

January 28th, 2012

A good win for a young team.

Hunt 21-5-44, West 13-3-20, Aerill 12-7-25, Marks 10-6-25. UH with 3 aces, 12 SEs, 15.5 blocks, Lofy in on 8, Averill 7. Castello with 15 digs, Biscaro 11, Averill 10.

Ponnet 21 kills for GCU, 1 aces, 10 SE. 9 blocks.

Thought the Warriors played really good defense, kept a lot of rallies alive, Castello was amazing for another night.

They’re going to get better. still a young team. West has been connecting better and Lofy’s footwork has greatly improved.

Hawaii hits the road, heads up to UOP Friday and Saturday. UCI in town Feb. 10 and 12. that’s Fri/Sun.

heading over the Pali. have a good night.

Comments
  • Jogga January 28, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Couple things didn’t make sense tonight. Sedore played well last night but did not play at all tonight. And why did Hinkle come in at all? Does that mean the end of his redshirt? If it is, it was such a waste. Averill played well but he still had a lot of errors. His strength may be in his blocks. Timmer also serves well but yet he didn’t come in to serve yet Crutchfield who has a soft serve came in to serve. Just saying.

• warriorfan January 28, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Hinkle – why burn his redshirt 9 matches in just to play him for a few points. I don’t get it.

• Cindy Luis January 30, 2012 at 9:57 am

Hinkle’s use didn’t make sense to me either

• vballfreak808 January 29, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I was hoping that they would put in Sedore or Hartley again. They have both came in at times and made impacts.

I know this is a little off topic but Cindy, do you know it Coach Shoji went to the Hawaii Volleyball Network thing today? I see a lot of talent in these young girls and hopefully future Hawaii recruits. There was Kanani Danielson’s little sister there and shes only sophomore setter so she can be good like Kanani when shes a senior. There was also Kalei Adolpho’s cousing there.

• Cindy Luis January 30, 2012 at 9:58 am

don’t know if Shoji went to the vb showcase. It wasn’t meant for coaches to be there in person, ergo the reason for it being online and tv.

• Wawa January 29, 2012 at 11:03 pm

“she can be good like Kanani when shes a senior”

I highly doubt that. A) They play two entirely different positions and B) The younger Danielson is not as athletic and does not have much upside potential.

Any news on Spring ball? Transfers?

Seems like there are no ground-shaking transfers across the nation this year…Ross to Pepp for Sand is a tough loss for WA in the ball control department, but that does nothing for the Pepp indoor team.

Orozco leaving UI for Pepp is interesting, it will keep Pepp in the running for Top 10 as she will replace Frederick, but losing Hill & lib Robinson is rough.

Graven leaving Poly will make for a weaker Big West opponent.

Oh…and about the Men’s season….not much to say, but if Nick (Castello) wasn’t on the team I don’t think I’d pay Any attention. He’s the team’s best player per position, fun to watch, and a great guy. We all knew losing Umlauft would be tough, but we are definitely feeling the void of Nejc.

Something Charlie should take into consideration when recruiting: Recruit some Studs. By “studs” I mean stud athletes and studs, period. May sound a bit off, but when you think about it…the Stanley used to be filled with screaming girls…and some boys…wanting to watch the likes of the Aaron Wiltons, Jason Rings, Jorge Alifonsos, Tony Chings, etc. pound balls and just look good doing it.

As inappropriate as that could sound I think it would be a smart marketing ploy. Anything to fill the stands.

• Jesse January 30, 2012 at 7:57 am

IMO JP and johann are cute and very popular with girls!

• notbyreason January 30, 2012 at 10:44 am

I’ve gotten so many comments about how drool-worthg JP Marks is that I stopped approving them; too redundant. So there are fan girls/guys out there. Timmer is also very popular, as is Sedore — the freshmen, basically. If the team starts doing better,
        we might well hear the return of the screeching by the end of the season.

• Cindy Luis January 31, 2012 at 7:45 pm

guess i’m getting too old. but the days of Aaron and Yuval were pretty crazy. we used to get headaches from all the screaming.

• LC January 30, 2012 at 5:48 am

Hawai`i Volleyball Showcase- Didn’t see any coaches from UH.

Lack of news on transfers- Either they are doing a better job of hiding it or most kids are staying put this year.There also seems to be less updating of rosters going on. This is one way us snoops could tell who wasn’t returning.

I think official practice for Sand VB starts Feb.1. There is a real lack of up to date information for this sport even from the NCAA and AVCA.Recently I saw photos of Florida State’s Sand facility.It looks like they were build next to some dorms bordered on one side by a parking lot.My first thought was you’re in Florida and this is the best you could do.At least plant a few palm trees and put out some plastic,pink flamingos.

• LC January 30, 2012 at 8:01 am

Another day of disappearing postings

• Cindy Luis January 30, 2012 at 9:54 am

no idea what you’re talking about in regards to disappearing postings

• LC January 30, 2012 at 10:38 am

No idea ? Not your fault Cindy this blog does unexplainable things at times . Early this morning I did a post and it didn’t show up . I immediately resubmitted it and it said something like “duplicate post you already said this”

• Turfwar January 30, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Unless Hinkle is planning to transfer then Wade is doing him a favor by at least getting him some playing time now if he has to sit out next year. With the obvious talents of the young outsides and the incoming 6’9″ Canadian Opp hitter Maar it’s hard to project much playing time for Hinkle unless he has a 40′ vertical. If rumors of other foreign players being on the radar are true Wade will need as much scholarship monies as he can get. This team is not that far from being among the elite in a couple of years. My rant is also about Crutchfield. He needs to ask himself if the lolipop serves he delivers are the best he is capable of when looking back at his career in a few years. High school girls playing club ball serve the ball with more pace and it’s not like he’s placing the ball in tough spots or is creating movement. He puts it right in the middle of the court. People will not pay to see an athlete do something they can do better. I’m pretty sure he can serve better than the aunties who play those marketing games after game two. Heck he might as well serve under hand. Maybe the other team will lose concentration cracking up.

• warriorfan January 30, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Hinkle is not an opposite anyway, Maar will have no effect on his playing time.
      I dont Know why Crutch is the serving sub, his serve is not very effective at all. Sedore and Timmer should be the serving subs.

• jogga January 30, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Don’t you just love how we all play coach from the fans point of view? I hope Coach Wade knows something we don’t and hopefully it all makes sense to him.

• grandpa February 2, 2012 at 9:54 am

Cindy:
    I am hearing about something called Hawaii Volleyball Network and I see in this thread you mention it as well. (GoogledHVN and your blog showed up). There are some nice posts on volleytalk as well but I dont really know what this is, can you help me out?

• Cindy Luis February 2, 2012 at 3:24 pm

you can go online to hawaiivolleyballnetwork.com for more info. They held a combine last week for 9-12 graders, the combine was on OC16 and a web cast.