Wahine win 3-1

October 29th, 2009

Wahine up 14-10 . TO FSU. Hawaii hittting .455.

Hawaii up 20-16. TO FSU. hard to believe how biased ESPNU is. avoiding pronouncing the UH players names. FSU has never led but you’d never know it.

Hawaii wins 25-19. Hewitt block ends it. ESPNU doesn’t even acknowledge who did it.

Bad rotation for Hawaii. Ferrell blocked a couple of times. it’s 11-5.

Hawaii closes to 13-11. TO FSU. Cubi-Otineru 6-0-8.

Hawaii takes its first lead. 21-20. TO FSU.

FSU comes back to take a 23-21 lead. TO Hawaii.

Hawaii drops its third set of the WAC season 25-23.

Hawaii up 13-6. FSU calls second TO.

Danielson comes on strong at the end. Hawaii wins 25-15.

Comments
  • 808 October 29, 2009 at 5:54 pm

I’m listening to Blaine in the office. How do the Wahine look? Close set so far, 21-18, UH up. I would have thought they’d get more separation.

• Cindy Luis October 29, 2009 at 6:47 pm

I’m updating. Shoji said at halftime that FSU was playing great and his team wasn’t.
    They’ve flopped the lineup for Set 3, Danielson first server instead of Kaufman. Hawaii up 8-3 in Set 3. TO FSU.

• Cindy Luis October 29, 2009 at 7:08 pm

UH trades sides in Set 4 and it’s another bad rotation. FSU up 6-1. TO UH. Hawaii has taken the 8-7 lead. TO FSU.

• Cindy Luis October 29, 2009 at 7:40 pm

hawaii finishes it out behind danielson’s 22 kills, 13 by Otineru. 25-20. On to Nevada.

• gobows October 29, 2009 at 7:43 pm

The announcers were terrible. They make me miss Leahey and McLachlin. Ferrell still seems to be in a bit of a funk, she has really struggled lately. It was and ugly, but a win and I guess that’s all that matters in the end. Hope they play better the rest of this road trip.

• kazu October 29, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Whats the chances that Shoji would replace Ferrell as a starter down the line?

• spamworld October 29, 2009 at 8:54 pm

If you just where listening to the broadcast you would have thought the Wahine lost every game.
    So, how do you pronounce Kaaihue?? LOL Not doing your homework and being unable to pronounce anyone’s name is pretty bush league in my book.

I probably don’t understand volleyball well enough but why does Ferrell hit straight into the block so much? Also for someone who is supposed to have a good vertical, she doesn’t seem to be able to hit over the block. Her shots look awfully low.

Lets go Wahine! I’m looking for some payback when Fresno comes to the Sheriff center!

• Cindy Luis October 30, 2009 at 6:42 am

Yes, the announcers were terrible. I think I posted that in the first 5 minutes of the broadcast. You really did think Hawaii was losing the whole time. They kept saying what a great blocking team FSU was then they showed the graphic that UH was up 5-4 in blocks at the break. Then UH finishes with a 9-5 lead in blocks … but they don’t show that. I think they just got so enamored with the FSU coach, pretty blonde, looks good on TV, that they just couldn’t get past it. FSU may be an up-and-coming program but come on. they did mention how FSU had never beaten Hawaii. Didn’t bother saying 44-0 coming into the match.
    Can’t believe they couldn’t pronounce Ka-ai-hu-e. how hard is that. if you notice, Tennant gave up and just said the Hawaii libero. They did touch on Tennant playing against Hawaii. neither mentioned that Hawaii beat them in 06. That was the last match she played as she didn’t play in 07, diagnosed with fibromyalgia and retired after 07.

As for Ferrell, I don’t know what it’s going to take for Cascioppo to replace her at the moment. Ferrell has been in a funk lately, and it’s not just in games. it’s in practice. Don’t know if her leg injury has bothered her more than she lets on. But I guess they’re still figuring that she’ll play herself out of it. and when she’s on, she’s great.

• Jay October 30, 2009 at 8:40 am

I’m not really sold on Cascioppo as well and maybe that’s why Dave is not so quick to replace Ferrell. Isn’t Cascioppo like 6’3″? You’d think she’d go over blocks but seems like she hits the tape a lot. I do hope Ferrell gets out of her funk in time for the ncaa tournament.

• UHVBFAN October 30, 2009 at 11:50 am

You did indeed post that Cindy and these announcers also, I believe, made it SEEM like it was worse than it was. We dug ourselves out of the set 2 puka and that is important.

BTW, seems like fresno’s attendance was high and if their fans are anything as close to as advetised…the team needed to overcome that as well also. i remember reading about how they sit behind the bench and verbally harass. I don’t know if that is true or not but could also have been a morale deflater.

• Cindy Luis October 30, 2009 at 1:51 pm

I’m not sold on Cascioppo either, which is why they may be sticking with Ferrell. Cascioppo has the ability to put down balls but from what I’ve seen in practice, she still needs work on her footwork and approach. Shoji did chastise her for one soft shot during practice that he said he never wanted to see again.

you know how tall athletes grow up just getting by on their height, more so in basketball than any other sport. but I think there’s a really good player inside Cascioppo but she does need to develop.

As for Fresno State fans …. they were really hyping this match and giving away really good prizes, especially to the dorm that had the best attendance. you’ll notice that Hawaii did better when it was on the left side of the court, where there were very few fans, as opposed to how they did on the right, where there were all those students dying to get on TV. Wahine played noticeably different when they swapped sides and I do think it had something to do with the fans.
    and UHVBFAN, hawaii did make a great comeback in Set 2 that went unnoticed or unnoted by the tv people.

• Southern Cal Warrior Alum October 30, 2009 at 2:55 pm

ESPN should fire those announcers. They were terrible and very bias. Aslo, why does a flunky team like Fresno State have more television appearances than UH? Kind of stupid, since Hawaii ranks third in the nation. They talked about how the attendance average was twenty something in the nation and how good it was, but barely mentioned that the UH attendance has been on top in attendance for years.

As for UH, they played terrible. I know coach Dave Shoji doesn’t want to make excuses, but it could be the travel. It takes a day for most people to get use to for travel to each time zone.

• sodakine October 30, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Ferrell can hit a hard ball, but maybe the sets are too close to the net that as the blockers from the opposing team presses in, she hits straight into the block without any hesitation. the only choice would be for ferrell to tip the ball.

Cascioppo is prolly the next best choice, but i guess it takes time to improve technique. it would be awesome to see tuaniga convert to an OH. she can probably be the replacement?

aside from that, congrats on the win =]

• Cindy Luis October 30, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Shoji not making excuses but he did it was only the second road trip and third road match. asked if the team was embarrassed since it was on national tv, he said no, they weren’t happy because they didn’t play as well as they know they can. did ask about the fans. he said he didn’t hear anything but that the crowd was loud. a
    a lot of sets to ferrell are timing sets and she does like to come in on them but it’s not connecting well this year. passing was off. Mafua’s setting was off. timing was off. not a great match overall. but Shoji told me it wasn’t terrible. they still got the win. Terrible would have been if they had lost.

• Eric October 31, 2009 at 8:53 am

I’ve been reading that Ferrell hits better from the right than the left. So why not make her the right-side hitter? Isn’t she the one rotating opposite the setter, anyway? Also, I wouldn’t be so quick to swap Ferrell out for Cascioppo. Cascioppo hasn’t been stellar in her time on the court, either. Ferrell has shown flashes of brilliance last year and this year. She may be into a funk, but she earned that spot in the lineup and is probably the best choice anyway.

• Cindy Luis October 31, 2009 at 10:01 am

It’s not the way the offense is set up. I personally think Aneli is better on the right as well. but the way it’s run, OHs hit L twice and R once in the rotation. Ferrell will start tonight. Shoji told me that she is the starter and he has no plans to change.